Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
Joined
·
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another surprise from the indefatigable research chemist, part time clarinetist, and producer of Forte Clarinets, Omar Henderson, of Doctors Products. [URL="http://www.doctorsprod.com/"]www.doctorsprod.com[/URL]

Omar has now produced true grenadilla oil for applying to woodwinds.
In his own words, "... for me it was more of a scientific challenge than putting thought into making a hugely popular product for either technicians or hobbyists."
Omar is currently looking to assemble a a small testing panel ( first come after receiving email basis) of potentially "the most vocal proponents and perhaps nay-sayers about oiling the wood of woodwind instruments", in order to answer the question, "Is there any practical or theoretical advantage to use the genuine Grenadilla oil on woodwind instruments?"

If you are interested and able, then contact Omar. [email protected]
The rest of us will have to wait in anticipation for the results, and for its availability probably by September.
Details of this product so far are as follows, in Omar's characteristic technical prose!

Introducing Doctor’s Products Grenadilla Oil​
The controversy about oiling wooden instruments will rage on but now there is a new choice that most "oilers" and even the most die-hard non-oilers should consider. Doctor’s Grenad-Oil® is a faithful recreation of the natural oil found in Grenadilla wood. Through modern science the fatty acid composition (the building blocks of all natural oils) has been accurately measured, recreated, and accounts for 97.4% of oil content found in Grenadilla wood. Since the other 2.6% is not well characterized we have extracted this portion from natural Grenadilla wood mill tailings using ultra-modern supercritical low temperature extraction techniques and added it back. Doctor’s Grenad-Oil® is the closest choice to replenish the oil in your Grenadilla instrument possible and another triumph of scientific progress in the music industry.​
Although our Bore Doctor™ oil has been proven to protect and preserve many hardwood species used for musical instruments over the years, and is the world’s leading plant derived bore oil, we decided to offer a new premier oil product as found in natural Grenadilla wood as an option for the discerning and purist musician. The purified fatty acids used to precisely form Doctor’s Grenad-Oil® are extremely expensive and the added steps of purifying the trace flavanoids, phytosterols, and nutraceuticals, etc. to faithfully recreate trace elements in the natural oil are also time consuming and expensive, the end result – Doctor’s Grenad-Oil® will replenish lost natural oils precisely with no question about the composition of the oil. Feel confident that you are scrupulously preserving your valuable instrument in the best way by using Doctor’s Grenad-Oil® Grenad-Oil® is protected from oxidation and rancidity with powerful plant derived antioxidants in an amber glass vial for a long shelf life.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
Joined
·
19,359 Posts
Gordon,
Are you aware of any specific criteria needed to be met by either the clarinets being used or the testor? Also would the testor need to purchase the Grenad-Oil?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Bennyg said:
Alright, I'll be the one to ask the question, "Just how would you know if it is making any difference?".
A heretic! Burn his horn! :D

Actually, this is the Quintessential Question (TM). We'll probably never know until a ceteris paribus anlysis is made.
 

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
Joined
·
17,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Gordon, Are you aware of any specific criteria needed to be met by either the clarinets being used or the tester? Also would the tester need to purchase the Grenad-Oil? "

I don't have a clue. I have presented all I know.

"Alright, I'll be the one to ask the question, "Just how would you know if it is making any difference?". "

Good question. I wouldn't have a clue. Omar, as a real scientist, is probably more capable of ascertaining this in lab conditions, than by this brief, superficial real-time testing, so I am not sure exactly what he is trying to find out, by this testing programme. Just general reaction to the product, I suppose, rather than anything scientific or quantitative. Ask him :)

I am not big into bore oiling (unless by customer request) in my climate, so I am not involved myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I just sent my request to test. I added a question, since I use wooden mouthpieces, if this stuff is safe to put in my mouth.

David
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
Joined
·
766 Posts
Wow...stem cells for grenadilla wood!!!! Now that's cool...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top