Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Greg Wier's refacing services for more than 2 years now thanks to sotw but I have never been more impressed with that he did with my last two pieces.

I sent him two very un-playable mouthpieces, a Ponzol M6 tenor and an Link STM alto.

Both were resistant and had absolutely no response just completely dead. The alto piece was not only dead it squeaked and chirped anytime you transitioned from lower to upper stack notes.

He took the Ponzol M6 which is a very vintage Link style piece made by Ponzol in the 80's and refaced it from .090 to.100, flattened the table and evened the rails and it is one of the best traditional jazz pieces I have ever played on now. Focused and warm with nice subtones and that famous ponzol projection.

The OL STM is an older vintage 80's model and was supposedly refaced already but did not play well for me. Greg flattened the table, even the rails and fixed the inside and now it could not be more buttery smooth with easier altissimo all the way down to low Bb. I am now able to hit straight on the left palm notes with ease on my TK which prior to this was having some problem.

I cannot believe the difference Gregs work has made.

Kudos to GW mouthpieces.

B:):)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 10m I know that my pieces are not as valuable as some of yours but Greg really worked these into something special. Gigged then hard last night with my jazz trio and it was like no problems to reach where I needed to. Know what I mean?

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Played another gig with these refaced pieces and they just get better and better! Consider a quality reface before pitching your current pieces. It may save you tons a money and grief.

B

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,149 Posts
I am now able to hit straight on the left palm notes with ease on my TK which prior to this was having some problem.

B:):)
What exactly did you mean by this? I occasionally feel like I have to finesse the left palm notes to play them cleanly...never thought about it being mouthpiece related. I always thought it was just me and my loose embouchure.

I don't mean to steal your thread here. I am just curious. You could respond via PM if you want. Thank you, Steve

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would enjoy discussing this subject anytime.

B

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I cannot believe the difference Gregs work has made.

Kudos to GW mouthpieces.
I completely agree with you. I actually sent my damaged and almost unusable Florida Link 6 to him right after reading this thread, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Not only did he fix the piece, he made it play BETTER than it ever did before, and at the same time making it look gorgeous (the baffle, table and siderails have never looked better). I'm going to go to back to him for all my refacing needs for sure.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I
I completely agree with you. I actually sent my damaged and almost unusable Florida Link 6 to him right after reading this thread, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Not only did he fix the piece, he made it play BETTER than it ever did before, and at the same time making it look gorgeous (the baffle, table and siderails have never looked better). I'm going to go to back to him for all my refacing needs for sure.
I've tried all the NY Meyer Bros. clones and they were all too bright for my taste. Greg's was just what I was looking for for a long time. I had a Morgan refaced that turned out well also.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently started playing one Gregs Superplayer Blue 8 Tenor pieces and man it's sweet. I also bought one of his JLM (justlikemike) .110 and it made me sell my early Guardala Studio.

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts