Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't put this in the Piece Review thread cuz I was hopin' to chat about it. It all started at an open mic. This kid, half my age (or less :( ) playin circles around me is getting this HUGE sound. Loud, but warm.....to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with his actual "tone", but the shape of it and the volume were intriguing. SO I axe him "what piece you blowin?" He say "Slant Sig Link"..... just got it.....blah blah....

So off to Ebay/SOTW I go to read up.....first off DAY-UM but them are pricey.....So I accidently stumble onto some GW threads....especially entertaining was the "iron spike through my brain" thread :mrgreen: Fast forward, I found one from a brutha here.....for the price, why not try it? I actually prepared myself thhat I'd hate it.

I'm currently playing a Sakshama Lost Wax FLa link on a Borgani Lovano. I like it a lot. It was noticeably quieter than the aforementioned kid.

So this piece is every bit the wonky "Picasso" of tip facings...the reed sits a bit funny. But the rails appear equally curved, the table is like glass...smooth inner throat. What's also interesting is the baffle area is kinda concave side to side....like you could lay the curved part of the read smoothly in the baffle. I noticed my Fla is flat side to side....just an interesting observation....for all I know that's common < shrug >

So I slap on La Voz medium & BANG I'M PLAYIN LOUD!!!!!. It really is 1/3 again the potential volume of the Fla. Its smooth all over the horn and especially in the altissimo....very friendly up there. Easy to play altissimo smoothly or double-tone it the way Brecker did (of course, I have to think about it & try 4 times unlike Mike). Its very warm but has a buzzy edge that all but disappears with the subtone, and increases on a nice even ratio with more push & volume. I especially like how it plays from G2 up without getting tubby or thin. The intonation seems pretty even....I'm never sure though cuz when I'm lookin at the tuner I think I'm inadvertantly cheating....I try to riff around & land & hold, then look at the tuner. Might be a hair sharp up in the palm keys....or maybe thats just me. It sounds very round & full....nothing thin about it. The low end speaks pretty easily.

I put my fla back on, felt compfy.....but I quickly returned to the GW. I'm pretty enamored with this piece. It really doesn't do it justice to say "for the price" because I like it better than many pieces I've paid much more for....might like it best actually.

I A/B recorded them and sure enough...the buzzy edge I thought I heard was really nice on the recording. I thought it might be a hair "brittle" below Eb, but when I played back the recording it sounded more than fine. I'd say the Fla Link is actually darker, but they have a very similar core...its actually kinda impressive that 2 "Link knockoffs" share such close tone qualities. I've never played a "real slant link", so I'm not gonna speculate there.

So I'm going with 3 thumbs up. Highly recommend this piece. I'd call it buzzy, warm, versatile and sure fits the budget.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Congrats on your new winner.

I have had the GW Slant on my wish list for quiet a while together with some others
like a Phil-Tone. Economics are not helping lately but reviews like this get me in GAS trouble again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya budget wise....that's certainly the beauty of the GW pieces ;relatively cheap.
I can report that after a week or so I'm still pretty enamored . I have to say that the slightly larger tip opening (110ish compared to 105ish if memory serves ) is noticeable in emburchure fatigue ......just a bit. Not a deal breaker by any stretch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mind that I'm half of the interested parties here ;)

....so reed friendliness:
I rehearsed today. First time w/ the new baby. I'm w/ jazznbluezzz that economics are contributing to the delinquency of my reed usage lately. So as I'm going through boxes I'll blow very briefly on "good reeds" keeping them for gigs, and put the clunkers in use for practice....and rehearsal. (when I'm flush I'll toss the clunkers & only play "good" reeds in any session) Well, this piece takes reeds from the clunker pile (from the perspective of my Lost Wax Fla Link) and makes em winners. Seriously....its REALLY easy to make hay with damn near any reed I've thrown at it. I've only tried Vandoren ZZ's and my main staple of La Voz Mediums, but dang....all it "doesn't like" are reeds that are too soft....really gets kinda tubby & unappealing. So today I grabbed a clunker, rehearsed and then recorded with it....sounded fine, felt fine....spoke nicely from Low B ...really nice. I'm gettin more and more used to it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Played 2 gigs. Its settled,this is my new main piece. Got two positive comments (in the interest of full disclosure one of the comments was in the context of GW conversation with another sax player). So I'm happy.
Give it one a try.

·
Registered
379 Posts
jazaddict, I know the feeling. I have Greg's Meyer killer alto piece and the GW slant for tenor both are knock out's. He's a great guy to work with. Does great refacing work also. He reworked my Sugal 1 Jerry Bergonzi (removed the mini tracks and closed it to a 7) and it sings in tune from top to bottom with a huge sound and great altissimo. Greg Wier is on his game.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
GW is one of the easiest refacers to work with. He is quick and accurate, all in a convenient inexpensive framework. The GW "slant(s)" are great players although I prefer his refacing work on my Ponzol metal pieces. I just bought one of his JLM .110 metal tenor pieces that he used to make. JLM =just like mike.

B

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can honestly say that I haven't been on this website for over a year. It is good to see that the tone of the site has improved and your comments are appreciated. I was really expecting the Saxaholic to be calling my mother names.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts