Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
I think what Chris Potter said was interesting, when some seem to want to reduce practicing to some formulas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like Greg Osby's dialog about honesty. I see this as a big problem because players sometimes tend to have egos that prevent them from accepting that fact that they can't do something or in fact, do things very poorly. At least this has been my observation. I hear players all the time do things from gig to gig and it never sounds like much progress is being made or any attempt is made to correct or improve areas where the problems lie. This is made worse if they are constantly being told that they sound good. Then it's almost guaranteed that they will never work on things. Per Osby's suggestion, i will record myself everytime I practice. I know it will help me pinpoint the rough spots.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I think Osby is certainly open about how a lot of pros see practice and how he grapples with trying to practice within earshot of fellow hotel guests, etc.
Every practice I recordmyself for same reason - I can actually step back and listen to my problems andwork on them the following day.

Potter on the new musical discovery side of practicing is fascinating too. Steve Coleman mentions much the same thing in his workshops, however he is more reticent about having an actual practice regimen.

V

1 - 8 of 8 Posts