Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a secondhand P.Mauriat Greg Osby signature model alto and as there's no accompanying paperwork, I was wondering what version of the Super Vl neck it has. It feels weighty and the inside looks like solid silver, but I really can't be sure.

I know it was available with either a silver plated neck (SYSTEM-76GOSP) or solid silver neck (SYSTEM-76GOSS).

Can an owner who knows what neck they've got weigh theirs and post here. Mine weighs in at 126 grammes.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi there. Mine weighs 124g on what I think is a pretty good electronic kitchen scale.
I too cannot tell by looking inside if the finish is that of solid silver, but the prior owner assured me it was.
I know that when things are plated, the silver can get into places that don't really need plating, like inside the neck. My silver-plated 10M neck is like that.
The tenon end is brass, as is the ferrule at the end of the cork.
The certificate of authenticity says nothing about which neck it has. The horn is S/N 010/100. I suppose we could write to Mauriat with the S/N and ask them...

PS: (Off-topic) How do you find the pinky table? It may just be me, my hands, and the way I play, but I HATE the pinky table on this horn, even though it's set up as well as I can get it. It is practicably impossible to get from B to Bb. On the other hand, I LOVE the pinky table on my Conn 6M and 10M.

PPS: I started a thread about what I've found to be some problematic intonation on this horn and would appreciate your input.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...o-Intonation-Issues-(-)&p=3849178#post3849178

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks SchlockRod!

I'm still getting used to the System 76 lll Edition keywork, but it certainly feels comfortable enough to me to not require a big change in adaptation - I was previously playing a lot on a Trevor James Signature Custom Raw XS alto.

My Osby alto needs some tech work however, as it has some damage, so I'll hold off any in-depth comments on playability and intonation until it's been properly serviced.

I'll be sure to comment on your other thread when it's back.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm still getting used to the System 76 lll Edition keywork, but it certainly feels comfortable enough to me to not require a big change in adaptation - I was previously playing a lot on a Trevor James Signature Custom Raw XS alto.
You know I played MkVI tenors and a baritone too, for years. And it was intuitively obvious how and why they evolved the pinky table that way. Because it worked... even for me, a Conn guy! It was just different and I quickly adapted.
But now every Taiwan horn I've played (pro-level horns) has things I just can't adapt to, in either the right pinky touches (a Barone Classic tenor) or the left pinky table (this Mauriat). I thought they were modeled after the MkVI design! I guess it may be more accurate to say that they tried to improve on it...? Even though it worked? (at least for me but I think many others, too)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts