Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Providence RI this weekend and heard a real good Alto/tenor player at an outside event. I found out later that it was Greg Abate. I had heard the name before, but wasn't really familiar with his playing. He really has the bebop thing really together, but sounds like himself. I really enjoyed his playing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea, Greg is a good one. Had the pleasure to work a little bit with him years ago (1980's) with some big bands in the Providence area. He could smoke back then too! I really like his CD teamed with Richie Cole.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I haven't seen Greg is some years, but last time I heard him he was sounding great and working all the time. I was impressed and happy for him.....not having to do what I was doing...working a day job just so I could choose the work that I wanted to do, and not have to take everything. He was always chill to talk to as well.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Greg Abate is a great player and a terrific person too!

My family and I were at Chan's the night his CD with Richie Cole was recorded. I was a student of Greg's at the time and that night happened to be my older daughter's 10th birthday. I asked Greg if he could do me a favor and play "Happy Birthday" for her, which he readily agreed to do. The next thing we knew, Greg and Richie were mixing it up on the most outrageous, bopped out version of the song you could imagine. Needless to say, it was a memorable night:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I saw Greg last night with Richie Cole at Nighttown. What a gorgeous sound! And he is a bopper for sure. His business card states "Bop is Alive and Well."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts