Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They had a quarter-page on one of the WWBW catalogs I've looked through, and their saxes *look* very interesting. Anyone know about their sound or quality? I'm looking for a budget soprano, nothing special, but something that'll last me for a while and that I won't regret buying. I cna always trial it too if no one's heard of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,292 Posts
Call me at 305-667-4925 or email me. You can find horns that are better or equal quality from some of the ebay stores, reliable dealers or people here. For a nice playing bargain, find a used Vito fixed neck model in the $600 range, made by Yanagisawa. If you go too low, you will get one of the low grade ones from China. There are some decent Asian horns out there if you go to the right source but there are dozens of different brands. I have sold a few of those dogs to flea market vendors but I don't even do that anymore as they take a lot of time to get playing and don't hold the adjustments. I have one from Taiwan that is pretty decent in the $300 range new. You can always go vintage but after padding, it will run you over $800. Also look for used Yamahas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Intonation

I've been evaluating a greatmind soprano for a while. I hate to make a call based on a single example, however, you can take these observations for what they are worth. Overall the tone was resonable. (I'm playing on a Lakey 6*...the mouthpiece it came with was not worth playing.) The altissimo range was acceptable as well. However, intonation. Wow. Very frustrating. From low D up, the intonation was manageable although I found myself adjusting a lot. As with many sopranos, the upper registers tended sharp. But, Low C was a quarter step flat. Low B and Bb were also very flat, but not as bad as Low C. I tried different mouthpieces, reeds, and also different players. All had the same problem. I have asked for a replacement for the horn to see if I have the same problem on another example. Could be a set up problem...what would you change? Height of Low B and Bb keys in open position? The only way I could get low C to play in tune was to lightly touch the C# key which sent the tone all to pieces. If I could get the low C key in tune, this would be a great buy, but...unless I can bring the C in I'm going to give up and send it back. It's really a shame, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts