Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a companion question. So which living Tenor Sax Jazz Player do you enjoy listening to the most?
Living players only need apply. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
In terms of people who take my breath away every time I listen to them, Charles Lloyd. Both his older stuff and his newer are fantastic, but to hear him at his absolute best is to hear him live! Also, Joe Lovano, Sonny Rollins, and Ravi Coltrane really do it for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Rollins or Shorter. Whether they are the greatest players at this time is debatable, but their influence on everybody else who may be "better" than them right now is not.

·
2,870 Posts
Rollins or Shorter. Whether they are the greatest players at this time is debatable, but their influence on everybody else who may be "better" than them right now is not.
Amen

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Charles Lloyd

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
I'd say Newk, Lloyd and Shorter.

I'd also say....PHAROAH SANDERS

To many great players like Jimmy Heath are kind of takin-for-granted these days and you may not even know them, but after hearing them here you might want to hear more. ROOTS! While I love Chris, Turner and those guys very much too....I urge some of you guys to study/absorb and dig guys like Yusef, Heath, George Coleman etc because they have a huge apect of ORIGINALITY and jazz language that is important to be aware of. As I said, there's lots of these guys I loveto dig live and always will, and WE ALL GOT OUR HEROS, I'm not saying anything AT anyone but... Take the the initiative and personal responsity to the music. That is something we should all embrace it will serve us.We need to feel MUSIC in our gut and that can only happen through our own intitiative. Also, the history of this instrument. I've taked to Potter about Hawkinss and Eddie Harris at legenth and he was on a bender and just gushing about listening to those guys. DIG! :)

We can blame business for the cultural choices that people make but it is the people making the choices.Business has its nature and with it it's truth, but we don't have to choose Kenny G. or discard Prez. We do this because WE are not practiced in the process of learning AND the search for truth.In an age where convenience has such great value we have become it's servants and
weak in the process. INVEST IN THE MUSIC, I hope to inspire and give testimony with the music but I am not the conventional educator giving testimony to JUST THE FLAVORS OF THE MONTH. In 8 years I hope ALL the guys are still on their music and doing great. Guys I dig also like Ernie Watts,Bert Wilson and Kenny Brooks are an asset to the grand sceme of the Bb horn we love. I do believe in learning and I have been pretty good at that.I am in the process of lifelong learning and my students hopefully will learn from being around me as I walk my path in this life.

Keep on guys and keep checking out all things past and present !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Rich Perry -- Taste, tone and an endlessly lovely series of beautiful variations on standard tunes. Great technique entirely in support of his musical ideas. Art.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Jerry Bergonzi

“…probably one of my absolute favorites, Jerry Bergonzi, who lives in Boston.” –Michael Brecker

I was recently talking to Scott Goulding, a well-known area drummer who’s played with Jerry, and he recalled Michael Brecker saying this during a Master Class at Berklee. Fortunately for us, David Valdez has a link to a recording of Michael’s entire Master Class on his terrific Casa Valdez Studios blog. You can hear Michael talking about his favorite contemporary players (albeit in ’87) at the 38:15 mark of the recording.

·
1,596 Posts
Hard to say greatest, but my most preferred are Ralph Moore, George Coleman, Ralph Bowen, and Rich Perry. All have great sound and play their @$$'s off. great players and great people, I love there sound and Idea's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts