Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't checked him out lately his band is NICE! Great tenor player who many people have not heard.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice video! He and Bernard Fowler did a concert at UNT last fall. Great music. He really had a beautiful sound and some wicked altissimo chops on tenor and soprano.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I was lucky enough to have him come in and hang at a gig I was playing when he came in town playing with the Stones. He asked if we would play a "flamenco" style tune so he could sit in and have a chick he met dance with the band. I had to respond, "This band will not ****-block anybody!". I didn't want to tell him I knew the girl and how nutty she was. Anyway, a nice guy, good player and a huge improvement for the Stones over Bobby "Keys".

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He came to UNT and did a lecture concert when I was a student and I really dug his playing. I also saw him at a jam session in Reno Nevada. Both times I saw him perform live I thought his tone was different than on this video.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I seem to remember that he was playing a Morgan Excalibur what are a little on the "brighter" side. It looks like he is playing a banded hard rubber Link in the video. I prefer the sound in the video.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Great playing...I have to say though, whatever it is those guys find interesting about that particular melody, I'm not getting it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts