1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Great sax playing so thanks a million for posting it....Clifton Chenier has always been a big favorite of mine. So that was doubly great.

Clifton was the King of Zydeco, and to see why, here is a clip from a video about him, and another one (probably taken near the end of his life from the looks of it) with his son C.J. on alto doing Bon Ton Roulet, the title that clearly sums up his musical philosophy.

·
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great clips! Thanks for posting them.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Originally recorded in Chicago for Chess 1957. A terrific sax solo by the great Lionel Prevost (begins at the 51 second mark). If you haven't already, check out this SOTW interview about Lionel.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/LionelPrevost1.html

I Just found this thread again today, and Lionel's solo is definitely a real killer. Thanks again to you Neil for posting it. I've been playing along with it trying to pick up some of his licks but if you, or anyone else, has any of them transcribed (or the entire solo for that matter....hope, hope) and could share them it would alot easier and humbly and gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

·
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jazz Is All I unfortunately don't have the solo transcribed but picked it up by ear. It's relatively straight forward altho the phrasing on the one lick I had to listen to more than a few times before I got it down. Did you see the article we posted on Lionel? If not, you can access a solo he did on a self-produced CD shortly before he passed on using an Armstrong student horn! The great players sound great on any set-up.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/LionelPrevost1.html

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I guess I'll just have to work on learning to transcribe it and get it by ear because I certainly love the solo. Thanks for the reply though, and for that link. Proves that the tone is all in the mouth of the player. And what a great life story, the part about the rubberbanded sax is amazing and shows the perseverance a lot of guys of his era and situation in life had to have to overcome all the obstacles they had to face just to try and do what many people take for granted. Makes his success all the more impressive.

·
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jazz Ia All, you could contact Curtis Swift at http://www.saxsolos.com/. He's already done transcriptions of Lionel's work, provides excellent service, and his costs are quite reasonable- highly recommended!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
I guess I'll just have to work on learning to transcribe it and get it by ear because I certainly love the solo. Thanks for the reply though, and for that link. Proves that the tone is all in the mouth of the player. And what a great life story, the part about the rubberbanded sax is amazing and shows the perseverance a lot of guys of his era and situation in life had to have to overcome all the obstacles they had to face just to try and do what many people take for granted. Makes his success all the more impressive.
Amazing Slow dDowner is a very good tool for learning by ear. It's made by a jazz guitarist from Malmö in Sweden. You can try it out here: www.ronimusic.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts