Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be a good idea to gather up a thread with all of the recommended sellers that folks have had the pleasure with whom to do business. These recommendations often come at the end of long threads and are not seen again.

I'll start the ball rolling. I have had many transactions over the last two years here at SOTW, and all but one have been marvelous. I'll lay out these for you here, and I hope others will chime in with their great sellers.

Saintsday -- deal in progress; he is super, and a great friend with whom to talk. He and I are the same age, as he mentioned in an aside of his birthdate in relationship to a horn's age. I look forward to culminating a deal with him, and I enjoy IM with him.

Mope -- Deal coming to fruition in a horn being shipped today. Friendly, open, and great guy.

Bruce Bailey -- Knowledgeable, honest, slightly underestimates the condition of his horns, ships fast and solidly, with a well-packed horn. I recommend him highly.

Sbornemann -- Straight-up, honest, and fast becoming a good friend after our transaction. Horn looked better than represented, and played exactly as represented (great instrument). He shipped fast and perfectly packed the horn. Both during and after the deal, he made highly appreciated gestures to accomodate a minor problem withe sax which has been corrected. Again, I recommend him highly.

Ving -- Another honest seller, and horn was exactly as represented. The horn played beautifully, and he shipped fast and solidly, with a well-packed horn. Again, I recommend him highly.

Odsum25 -- Honest seller, with horn in excellent shape and packed well. He stated clearly that horn had a minor issue which he had not been able to perfect, but my tech corrected it quickly and easily, and the horn plays well now. I recommend him highly.

Pete (formerly Saxpics) -- Another honest seller, Pete detailed the poor condition of the horn in great detail, and his descriptions were dead-on accurate. Another high recommendation...

Mark G -- This is my one bad transaction. The horn was poorly represented, and arrived in unplayable condition. He had even tossed a jibbing note into the bell, "The sweet smell of your deception - $$$." The instrument was so badly packed that there was serious damage at both ends of the bell-to body brace. Mark offered to pay for the repairs, and then never sent the money. Nevertheless, the horn was rebuilt into a fine instrument in the hands of my tech, who did a faithful vintage rebuild.

Additional thoughts -- Sbornemann, Ving, and Pete all worked out special accomodations with me, and all turned out as expected at both ends. Kudos to those sellers for working with me in unusual ways; I am grateful, gentlemen. Saintsday is working similarly with me, and I appreciate his grace and his friendship.

I hope others will add to this thread, and we will have a running reference of good sellers with whom to do business.

Sax Magic

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Weiner's and Sax Alley gets my business.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
saintsday for vintage sax bargains esp Buescher.

Lord Dark Helmet for anything illegal :twisted:;). (EDIT: I mean Simon Weiner for new stuff :).)

Both lovely chaps.

I wish I could recommend someone from the uk but no dealings as yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,254 Posts
One more for saintsday, great guy.
Same goes for mnash.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,359 Posts
I've had great dealings regarding horns with the following (and no bad transactions ever with SOTW folks):

Les -great repairs, a The Martin overhaul, bought a Selmer Mark VI Tenor, traded a King Super 20 for a Yamaha Z;

Kritavi - bought a The Martin and a Brilhart mouthpiece;

abadcliche - repaired 10M, overhauled a King Super 20, bought a Steve Broadus mouthpiece from him, sold him (and his friends) a 10M, a Martin alto, and a Keilwerth New King;

hornimus - bought an Martin Committee I that he overhauled (and did a great job) and bought a Ponzol mouthpiece from him (on ebay.)

big hunk - bought a TH&C from him...he did the best packing job I've ever seen. Every key on the horn was taken care of.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have dealt with many people here (10mfan, bruce bailey, abadcliche,kritavi,chuberry47...) and never had any complaints, everything was always as expected.. but please, let's not talk about ebay!

·
Super Moderator
26,521 Posts
see sig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
chitownjazz owns the USPS and gets preferential shipping not to mention his knowledge and integrity...

bfahle was accurate and friendly in a trade...

-TH same as above...

Al Stevens is as honorable as they come...

Grumps isn't a grump but he is good to deal with...

theshaub was a pleasure to deal with on a very nice horn...

vskaman played fair on an SBA alto...

qwerty is very generous and I owe him a drink...

graysax same as above...

Simon Weiner was good to deal with and I'll buy what I can from him in the future...

Dave Hoskins has been fair with me, especially with mouthpiece trades...

Anyone else that I've bought from and forgotten, please forgive me.

My only real burns on SOTW have been for a couple of hacked up doorstops that were sold to me as mouthpieces. I've had very good luck eBay overall as well.

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,792 Posts
Sainstday is great to deal with. I haven't bought from him but he is an absolute fountain of knowledge
Chitownjazz is great
Weiner music is exceptional and I got my favorite mouthpiece from them :D.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Weiner music is great,Kessler music is great ,USAHORN is great and SaxForte is great!!!!!

1 - 20 of 385 Posts