Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Rich is one of the best. I used to hear him wiping the floor with that other tenor player in Mel’s band on Monday nights. I’ll still never understand why the other guy has had a better career. Dumbfounding. One with the great time feel, beautiful sound, interesting ideas and the other with a stuffy sound, bad time and the “wiggle your fingers around” ideas.
I don’t hear that as “Playing in and out of key” but long phrases that resolve eventually. Joe Henderson was the master of this.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thank you and Sean for sharing. I've watched Sean's video several times and was hoping I could find a PDF of the transcription. Rich Perry is my favorite tenor player - pity so many folks are unfamiliar.

I seem to remember an interview with Rich Perry that floated around the web a while ago where he cited Joe Henderson and late-'50s Trane as two of his biggest influences as a young player. You can *definitely* hear the Joe Henderson influence on his earliest recordings w/ the Mel Lewis Orchestra. Nowadays he's very much his own (exceptional) voice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts