Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolfe Tannenbaum, the former owner of Bari Mouthpieces and Wolfe Tayne mouthpieces recently sold Bari and several weeks ago his wife passed on. In a telephone conversation with me he said he wanted to start re-facing mouthpieces again. He's 85 and has more energy than any five much younger people I know.

I believe he's a great facing man so consider giving him a try. He does clarinet mouthpieces too. Maybe you'd just like to call him to send your condolences or say hello. He tells me he's bored out of his mind. His number is: 954-561-7804

Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Thanks Phil, this guy's a legend......daryl

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
I have known him for about 35 years and have sold the Esprit mouthpiece. Thanks for the heads up and one day I will run "up" there (I may be the only one here who lives south of him).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to visit his shop in Ft. Lauderdale in 1985, I think that's where I got the bug to make mouthpieces. Amazing he's still going after all these years. He would make the mouthpieces there, and the plastic "Bari" reeds, which I played on for years. Thanks for the info Phil, I'll contact him soon. -Ken

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about everyone just give him a call to say hello and wish your condolences for losing his wife? He doesn't drive so he's really isolated and loves to talk about mouthpieces. Phil

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,836 Posts
Talked to him on the phone today; what a gentleman, very knowledgable and kind. I'm sending him a mouthpiece to reface...will report back when I get it.

Saxaholic

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just spoke to Wolfe this evening - we talked shop a bit, really good to touch base with him after all these years. Thanks again for the info Phil.
Ken

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,221 Posts
I am out visiting my in-laws in Boca and called him up. Went down to meet him and have him take a look at a couple of pieces. He's really great. I hope that anybody who needs advice on their set up calls him. I can't say enough about the time I spent with him. He's hilarious, warm, personable, has an encyclopedic knowledge of the saxophone and knows what makes a mouthpiece work without all the voodoo and nonsense that you can sometimes get. I highly recommend his work and if you are near by you should really make the trip to him (if he invites you). He's really bored out of his mind (his words) and wants to keep busy. His prices are INCREDIBLY CHEAP and he doesn't have a back log of months.
Call him. You won't be sorry. Even if you get just one story out of him it's worth every penny and then some.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Darn...I was just out in Ft. Lauderdale last week! sounds like a worthwhile connection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts