Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited! We have a little closet upstairs that is going to become my practice room. It will be sound proofed so I can play at all hours of the day with out bothering my wife and kid. They go to bed at 9 and I don't fall asleep until midnight or later.

I have had trouble getting practice time in lately because my kid is getting older and I don't want her to be raised by the TV. She will watch it if I practice or else she wont let me play. So I have been taking her to the park and beach instead of playing. It is great to watch her grow up but it has been making me sax quest move at a snails pace.

now I will have at least three hours a day to shed. This is going to really get me going in a lot of ways. I can't wait for it to begin. Maybe I can finally finish Neffs Bebop Dominant book now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I've got little kids -- a 4 yr old and a 1.5 yr old. A practice space where I can play without waking them is VITAL. I couldn't play without that. I've got a 20' x 20' room built off the back of my detached garage, hvac'd, where I can go after I put 'em down. I hear you, man -- with kids, if you actually want to practice, its totally imperative.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got little kids -- a 4 yr old and a 1.5 yr old. A practice space where I can play without waking them is VITAL. I couldn't play without that. I've got a 20' x 20' room built off the back of my detached garage, hvac'd, where I can go after I put 'em down. I hear you, man -- with kids, if you actually want to practice, its totally imperative.
She used to sleep hard during her naps and I would get my time in but now she will wake up if I play. So if I play in the room when she naps and at night I could get up to 5 hours a day. I can't wait. I feel like I have gotten so much better at practicing than I was when I was younger. I would put in 7 hours a day and not get that much done but i would think I was putting in some solid practice. I Will get so much done now I'm starting to make lists and schedules so I don't waste time.

We have our babies and our kids. We owe it to all of them to be our best when we spend time with them. I envy your large space but My little 4' by 5' closet will do just fine!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
Lucky guy...
My kids are grown. Two are out of the house, but I still go to the barn when I need to do some serious practicing.
Next year I won't have to do that. The sheep won't miss it I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We have our babies and our kids. We owe it to all of them to be our best when we spend time with them. I envy your large space but My little 4' by 5' closet will do just fine!
One of the measures of a real man is to actually be there to raise your kids. Thank you for your commitment to that. As for the other thing---think of all the money you're saving by not having to soundproof a 20' x 20' room!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
This is why despite all of it's shortcomings, I have found the E-Mute to be a necessity. As a renter I can never guarantee a place to sound proof.

I would advise against taking ones horn to the park and letting them just climb around. Had I done that my daughter would have suffered serious injury or broken something. And the 9 month old now needs someone to makes sure he won't eat every little stick he can find.

Be thankful you can afford to be home for nap time and the like. And treasure it. Congrats on the new space.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Awesome!

I am just beginning to research finishing and somewhat soundproofing the space above my garage...Have a feeling I will be spending a lot of cash though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So you're going into the closet instead of coming out of the closet...I guess this is a psychological process
that hetero-saxophone players indulge in. ;)

·
Registered
868 Posts
when they get a little older, you may not need to go into your little room at all... but everyone's different.

my kids and wife have no trouble falling asleep and staying that way when i practice. i don't know how they do it, but they do. i guess my playing is just so relaxing? my guess is, they are gonna either love saxophone all their lives, or hate it, thx to me.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
That's great to hear. My playing as improved consistently since I built myself a practice room. Since I have a daytime job that is unrelated to music, I usually practice mostly in the evenings, often until midnight, and in the weekend, so the sound-proof practice room is vital.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing my excitement. I feel like I'm so close to really jumping up a couple notches. All I need is some time. I have some stuff I'm working on besides the Neff book to help my playing be more melodic. I have been running everything in every key for a good solid 7 years now and I pick up stuff a lot faster than I used to.

The funny thing is Mike when my wife was preggos I had just finished cutting an album I felt really good about and the support tours for the album. I was planning on going back out on the road but the minute I met my little girl, which was right when she was born, I couldn't believe I thought I could leave. I had saved money and I could afford to stay home. It's hands down the best thing I have ever done ever, ever, EVER! My little girl loves music and sax. She gets enough of it with out having to hear me practice all the time. I don't want her to resent music because it takes me away from her.

I do take my horn to the park sometimes but usually it's to much with her and the dogs. She is a dare devil and we have fun climbing, sliding and spinning together.

So I'm off to my closet. Maybe I will run into Tom Cruise or R Kelly in there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very happy for you!

I am in the same situation, wife & kids. So I share the pain that a lack of practise space (and time) can be.

Which kind of soundproofing material do you intend to use? (if any are required)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks for sharing my excitement. I feel like I'm so close to really jumping up a couple notches. All I need is some time. I have some stuff I'm working on besides the Neff book to help my playing be more melodic. I have been running everything in every key for a good solid 7 years now and I pick up stuff a lot faster than I used to.

The funny thing is Mike when my wife was preggos I had just finished cutting an album I felt really good about and the support tours for the album. I was planning on going back out on the road but the minute I met my little girl, which was right when she was born, I couldn't believe I thought I could leave. I had saved money and I could afford to stay home. It's hands down the best thing I have ever done ever, ever, EVER! My little girl loves music and sax. She gets enough of it with out having to hear me practice all the time. I don't want her to resent music because it takes me away from her.

I do take my horn to the park sometimes but usually it's to much with her and the dogs. She is a dare devil and we have fun climbing, sliding and spinning together.

So I'm off to my closet. Maybe I will run into Tom Cruise or R Kelly in there.

This is probably the best post I've seen here since returning. I know it has little to do with playing, but it does inspire me to keep my priorities straight. Thanks!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds great!! I am fortunate in that I work very close to home so i am finished my hour and 15 minutes of playing by 6:45 pm M-F.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts