Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
How do these compare to D'addario Select Jazz reeds? Darker? DSJ play darker for me than Rigotti, but I'd like something even a shade darker than that.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
When those were Rico I liked their edge. The last box I had when they switched actually stunk out loud.
The BSS reeds are a little darker than Rigotti. They seem to be cut thicker and the fibers seem denser. More fibers than pulp, I guess is the correct description. I think they may take longer for me to break them into being more edgy but think they may last longer. I have 5 that I’ll practice on to see how I feel about them in the long run.
I liked them but I play Links and I like the edge of Rigottis.
Make sure you order half a strength softer than Rigotti if you want to try them.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How do these compare to D'addario Select Jazz reeds? Darker? DSJ play darker for me than Rigotti, but I'd like something even a shade darker than that.
These are darker than Select Jazz reeds in my opinion and a lot more consistent. I love the Select Jazz when I get a great reed but most of the reeds in a box were duds for me after the switch to D'Addario. I have been playing every reed of the BSS reeds. I do have to break them in a bit by playing on them until they are optimal but they last much longer in my experience.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,909 Posts
These are darker than Select Jazz reeds in my opinion and a lot more consistent. I love the Select Jazz when I get a great reed but most of the reeds in a box were duds for me after the switch to D'Addario. I have been playing every reed of the BSS reeds. I do have to break them in a bit by playing on them until they are optimal but they last much longer in my experience.
Steve, any trouble with strength consistency? My boxes were all over the place. Maybe I just got unlucky?

- Saxaholic

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,443 Posts
Steve, any trouble with strength consistency? My boxes were all over the place. Maybe I just got unlucky?

- Saxaholic
I just played through a box of tenor size 3. Nice reeds, softer than I like (rigotti 3.5m), but all 5 were pretty much exactly the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First off: Thanks to all who are giving the reeds a try! Second: with regards to the pricing, coming up in a few weeks I'll be offering them in boxes of 10 (due to popular request) and as a result will be able to price them lower per reed since it will help reduce our packaging cost and labor. Stay tuned!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,902 Posts
I have tried a few boxes of both 3's and 2.5's for tenor. I didn't find them inconsistent. Rather, I found that the difference in strength between the two sizes was too wide. The 3's play harder than a Rigotti 3 strong, so they feel too hard on my TK 0.108" mouthpiece. The 2.5's, on the other hand, play too soft. A 2.75 would seem to be perfect for my needs. So I'm sticking to the Rigotti's, although I do like the added darkness of the BSS.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have tried a few boxes of both 3's and 2.5's for tenor. I didn't find them inconsistent. Rather, I found that the difference in strength between the two sizes was too wide. The 3's play harder than a Rigotti 3 strong, so they feel too hard on my TK 0.108" mouthpiece. The 2.5's, on the other hand, play too soft. A 2.75 would seem to be perfect for my needs. So I'm sticking to the Rigotti's, although I do like the added darkness of the BBs.
While the 2.5 reeds work most of the time for me, occasionally I'd like a firmer one but the 3.0 is too big of a step. I'll second the request for a 2.75 strength.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I absolutely have no idea how a reed manufacturer grades the hardness of reeds, but I would suspect there's some sort of hardness/tension testing involved? Given that a sample is taken from a specific lot of reed material, it seems a bit of a stretch, to me, that every plant in that lot, much less every section of the sample plant has grown with the same consistency as the section used for testing. They're plants for crying out loud! Granted, maybe a given hybrid plant has certain similarities within its species, but out of a batch of 1000 reeds, how many do you think are exactly the same, when they're harvested from who knows how many different sections of how many plants? I think a lot of cane reed users are expecting an awful lot from a simple plant, and the manufacturing process used in making them.

·
4,443 Posts
I absolutely have no idea how a reed manufacturer grades the hardness of reeds, but I would suspect there's some sort of hardness/tension testing involved? Given that a sample is taken from a specific lot of reed material, it seems a bit of a stretch, to me, that every plant in that lot, much less every section of the sample plant has grown with the same consistency as the section used for testing. They're plants for crying out loud! Granted, maybe a given hybrid plant has certain similarities within its species, but out of a batch of 1000 reeds, how many do you think are exactly the same, when they're harvested from who knows how many different sections of how many plants? I think a lot of cane reed users are expecting an awful lot from a simple plant, and the manufacturing process used in making them.
It's an inspection of the density of fibers. Visual I believe. A 2 isn't thinner than a 4, but it vibrates much easier because there's less material to get moving. So high attention to detail in the sorting process would produce a higher level of consistency both in a box and box-to-box.

As for the BSS reeds: They remind me of the Francois Louis reeds. They were/ are Rigotti cane. My BSS reeds came in the same plastic individual holders as the Rigottis I play regularly...I wonder if that's his source.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Rigotti’s and Roberto’s Winds reeds that are made by Rigotti both have a pronounced indent pattern at the butt end of the reed.

BSS reeds have the exact same pattern.
My vote is Rigotti makes them as well.

·
4,443 Posts
Rigotti's and Roberto's Winds reeds that are made by Rigotti both have a pronounced indent pattern at the butt end of the reed.

Yes! I noticed that too.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Rigotti's and Roberto's Winds reeds that are made by Rigotti both have a pronounced indent pattern at the butt end of the reed.

I haven't noticed that either but will look later. Regardless, these are totally different reeds than Rigotti Gold in my opinion. Not even in the same ballpark. If they are made by Rigotti it is a totally different design and cut in my opinion....... Steve

·
4,443 Posts
I haven't noticed that either but will look later. Regardless, these are totally different reeds than Rigotti Gold in my opinion. Not even in the same ballpark. If they are made by Rigotti it is a totally different design and cut in my opinion....... Steve
I think they look, play, and feel exactly like the Rigotti-made Francois Louis reeds, which play differently than the Rigotti golds. It's been a few years since I had any FL's, but the first BSS reed I slapped on I said it right away. The price point is also the same BSS: 5/$27 FL: 10/$50+/-

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
+1 These are not Rigotti's not even close.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts