1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Thanks for the review, Steve. Kind of creepy as I was JUST looking at these on Jacks website and then your review popped up as well.

I have been playing Legere Sigs but want to give these a go...thanks as always for sharing your experiences.

- Saxaholic

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review, Steve. Kind of creepy as I was JUST looking at these on Jacks website and then your review popped up as well.

I have been playing Legere Sigs but want to give these a go...thanks as always for sharing your experiences.

- Saxaholic
No problem. These really are a joy to play! A great darker alternative to Rigottis that play just as easily for me. I'm about to put one on my Lamberson J7 to see how it plays on that.........

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Hi, Steve. Great review. I have exactly the same experience with the Rigotti. Right now I am experimenting with Lupifaro Classics reeds, to see how that works for me, for a darker but still responsive tone. Regarding the Boston Shop reeds, how do they compare to the Rigotti's, in terms of strength sizes? I usually play Rigotti Gold 3 Strong, sometimes 3 Medium on a Ted Klum 0.108" metal mpc.

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Steve. Great review. I have exactly the same experience with the Rigotti. Right now I am experimenting with Lupifaro Classics reeds, to see how that works for me, for a darker but still responsive tone. Regarding the Boston Shop reeds, how do they compare to the Rigotti's, in terms of strength sizes? I usually play Rigotti Gold 3 Strong, sometimes 3 Medium on a Ted Klum 0.108" metal mpc.
I find the BSS reeds to be a bit harder and feel thicker than the Rigotti reeds. To me the BSS 2 1/2 plays like a little bit harder Rigotti 2 1/2 strong, maybe a 3 soft. But it plays and responds like it is a little thicker in the heart of the reed. I would think the BSS 3 would be like your 3 medium or s strong. It does play differently so it's hard to compare exactly........

·
12,793 Posts

·
5,878 Posts
I find the BSS reeds to be a bit harder and feel thicker than the Rigotti reeds. To me the BSS 2 1/2 plays like a little bit harder Rigotti 2 1/2 strong, maybe a 3 soft. But it plays and responds like it is a little thicker in the heart of the reed. I would think the BSS 3 would be like your 3 medium or s strong. It does play differently so it's hard to compare exactly........
OK, thanks. I will give the #3s a try ... assuming they have them in stock.

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks. I will give the #3s a try ... assuming they have them in stock.
Better hurry. I ordered 5 boxes of 3's right before I posted on Facebook about them a few weeks ago and they sold out by the next day. They might sell out again after my review. I'm still waiting for my 5 boxes of 3's.......

·
5,878 Posts
Better hurry. I ordered 5 boxes of 3's right before I posted on Facebook about them a few weeks ago and they sold out by the next day. They might sell out again after my review. I'm still waiting for my 5 boxes of 3's.......
I've just placed the order. Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
How do you guys feel they compare to D'Addario Select Jazz? I feel them darker in a good way than the Rigotti Golds, however they don't last as long as I would wish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They seems very nice, but is there anywhere else where we can buy them? The website said they are made in France, I live in France but I can't find them anywhere else...

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
It would be great if they came up with a sample pack for sale....a way to try some different styles/strengths....BSS has two styles of reeds....buying a box of each style in a couple of different sizes means we waste a lot of money on reeds we won’t use....the sample pack would be the only way I’d try them...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I've not been happy with the consistency so far. In my box of 5, 2 of them played right out of the box and 3 of them felt a good bit stiffer. The 2 that played right out of the box were good though.

$28 for 5 reeds + shipping isn't exactly cheap.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I have two boxes to test once I get my horn back. Will report my findings.

- Saxaholic

·
3,536 Posts
Ha..I always go towards the light, not the darkness.
I will be avoiding these reeds... Reeds need to be bright, bold and loud from the low Bb to the 4th register...Darkness comes from your approach to playing and your mouthpiece...

·
12,709 Posts
They seems very nice, but is there anywhere else where we can buy them? The website said they are made in France, I live in France but I can't find them anywhere else...
Its likely that they are being contracted with one of the large reed companies here in France. The chances of finding them in the wild is pretty slim...especially in Europe. Ive actually considered Phil-Tone reeds since Im not far from cane country...but thus far its nothing Ive pulled the trigger on.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Ha..I always go towards the light, not the darkness.
I will be avoiding these reeds... Reeds need to be bright, bold and loud from the low Bb to the 4th register...Darkness comes from your approach to playing and your mouthpiece...
LateNite avoiding darkness ... hey, you could soak your reeds in Lucifer Yellow to make them glow in the dark :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
Its likely that they are being contracted with one of the large reed companies here in France. The chances of finding them in the wild is pretty slim...especially in Europe. Ive actually considered Phil-Tone reeds since Im not far from cane country...but thus far its nothing Ive pulled the trigger on.
Whoa, there ya go. Heck, anyone can make a great mouthpiece, right? :twisted:

But a bad reed can make any good mouthpiece suck. If you can make a affordable, consistently good reed...

This is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Be well.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts