Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

just wanted to share my second great deal on saxophones. I was just passing by a CashConvert store and saw two saxophones on display. One was rubish and the other one caught my eye a bit. A Cannonball. I'm not much into specifics so I went to my university and did a little research and found it to be a Sceptyr, or so it seemed and went back to the store to check if everything matched (also I researched the price for what they sell, the first thing on the sax that caught my eye).

I asked to see it and to play test it and it was in great shape, playing all the range without leaks and with good sound. Just a bit wear and tear and some spots where the laquer(?) came off a bit. It also had the original case, a Selmer S80 mpc and a François Louis pure brass ligature.

I negociated the price a bit with them and managed to drop it a bit, which was good for me. So I got that ready to play horn with nice extras for the nice price of 200€ (237$).

I'm very happy since it's the first alto I buy! Some might disagree or tell that other better horns could be bought by that price, but by my experience, not from where I'm from!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
200€ for a saxophone in good playing order is a steal!

The Selmer mouthpiece is worth around 40€, and the lig is another 30€... Consider that you payed a Cannonball 130€ and there you have a nice, nice, nice deal!

Congrats and enjoy the horn,.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not often, but sometimes those horns found in the pawnshops of the world are really good deals. Sounds like you found a pretty good one!

·
Banned
28,508 Posts
The Cash converters here in Barcelona paid off for me too. I found a Jupiter JAS 769-767 alto in perfect condition with the exception of 2 or 3 light scratches. The pads were like new and the sax played perfectly from top to bottom, no leaks no intonation problems etc. It had a great sound and I got it thinking it would be nice to have a modern sax as a backup. The thing even has a high F# key, not that I've ever used one. It was clear that someone had bought this played it for a couple of months and then put it in the closet. They wanted 325€ and I got them to let me have it for 275€.

Six months later in need of money I sold it for 475€ to a beginning student of a teacher friend who was pleased as punch to get a great Taiwanese sax for a good price instead of some Chinese no-name imitation. I go back to these stores every few months to see if they have any other deals like that because you never know what you'll find in places that are not sax savvy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts