Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw anice concert (North Sea Jazzfestival 2020) on the Dutch television with a great playing female baritone saxophonist I had never seen before. Her name is Tini Thomson and she is from Germany (born in 1981). Couldn't find a thread about her here on SOTW, so posted this one.

Some YouTube clips:

More information:
- http://veravingerhoeds.nl/2018/01/26/tini-thomsen-maxsax/ (Dutch and English)
- https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katharina_Thomsen (German)
- https://www.tombeek.nl/tini-thomsen-baritonsax-rockbitch/ (Dutch)

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she is. Jan Menu, too.

Nice clip and Jan is indeed great (the best Dutch baritone IMO is Rik van den Bergh, he was not in the clip you posted). Tini Thomson studied saxophone in The Netherlands, she speaks very good Dutch and plays here very regularly (but I had never seen her).

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,348 Posts
Nice clip and Jan is indeed great (the best Dutch baritone IMO is Rik van den Bergh, he was not in the clip you posted). Tini Thomson studied saxophone in The Netherlands, she speaks very good Dutch and plays here very regularly (but I had never seen her).
I have listened to Rik also, very much and I agree, he is excellent. He's well known to baritone players as a premiere Pepper-influenced player.

But he did a great project that was a tribute to Serge Chaloff. I think it's very much worthwhile.

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have listened to Rik also, very much and I agree, he is excellent. He's well known to baritone players as a premiere Pepper-influenced player.

But he did a great project that was a tribute to Serge Chaloff. I think it's very much worthwhile.

Yes, Rik is a great and versatile baritone player and also a very nice guy (I've played with him at jam sessions).

· Registered
2,101 Posts
I just metioned her on the "bari recording worth listening" thread.
She played the reunion gigs with itchy fingers - and I'm shure not every bari-player on earth would nail these arrangements like Tini ;)

· Registered
4,373 Posts
I'd never heard of her before but she's a fine player in many different styles - very versatile. I noticed in the Livestream Q4 Saxophonquartet Hamburg video that she appears to have a large knob of some sort attached to the neck of her horn. Is this a mic pick-up for effects or something else??

· Registered
903 Posts
I'd never heard of her before but she's a fine player in many different styles - very versatile. I noticed in the Livestream Q4 Saxophonquartet Hamburg video that she appears to have a large knob of some sort attached to the neck of her horn. Is this a mic pick-up for effects or something else??
I think it is a pick-up, because she does a lot of stuff with loop pedals, and I think this way it helps to have a better sound, since she moves a lot when doing all the foot work :)

See here:

2,348 Posts
i've never seen her play anything other than that mouthpiece. I assume it's a rubber Berg. Yes, totally irrelevant, but I can't help myself. BTW, Rik is always playing a metal Link, and Jan plays what I think is a modern Tone Edge...

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've never seen her play anything other than that mouthpiece. I assume it's a rubber Berg. Yes, totally irrelevant, but I can't help myself. BTW, Rik is always playing a metal Link, and Jan plays what I think is a modern Tone Edge...
Never bad to talk mouthpieces!

It looks like an HR Berg Larsen in those (older) clips shared here, but in the live TV concert I saw (no video's available yet) I've seen some closeup's of her and the mouthpiece and that didn't look like a Berg at all, more like a HR Ponzol (something like >this<).

Rik plays the last years an old Conn NWII baritone with a vintage Florida no USA. He had an 8* the last time I played with him at a jam session and I pointed him by email towards a 10 tip a few month after that session, which he bought and liked a lot. Not sure if it became his main mouthpiece by now (I haven't seen him for a while).

2,348 Posts
Never bad to talk mouthpieces!

It looks like an HR Berg Larsen in those (older) clips shared here, but in the live TV concert I saw (no video's available yet) I've seen some closeup's of her and the mouthpiece and that didn't look like a Berg at all, more like a HR Ponzol (something like >this<).

Rik plays the last years an old Conn NWII baritone with a vintage Florida no USA. He had an 8* the last time I played with him at a jam session and I pointed him by email towards a 10 tip a few month after that session, which he bought and liked a lot. Not sure if it became his main mouthpiece by now (I haven't seen him for a while).
Do you know Jan Menu as well?

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you know Jan Menu as well?
Only from having seen him at concerts, but never talked or had contact with him. Most of the times I saw him he played tenor in a Big Band I've seen a lot. He doesn't really play in a tenor style I'm attracted to (Jan sounds Getz alike). I do like his baritone voice much more, but not as much as Rik's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.