Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my first solo so I feel it came out very well and there were mistakes made by the trombones and everyone including me believe it or not :bluewink: so take a listen. My solo starts around the 8 minute mark on the tune "On Broadway"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I think you might have a better response if you point out that the solo is in the second tune, "On Broadyway" about eight minutes in... The first tune was a real sleep inducer.

Nice sounding Bari though. Just keep on kickin' and jump on the opportunities to make yourself heard. You stole this show... Wish you had played nearer the beginning. Maybe you could cut the YouTube recording into two separate tunes. You would get a much better response that way. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... Thanks for the advice. i did forget to say on this that it was 8 minutes in. I do love my new Berg larsen Mouthpiece ALOT

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the link to the same video but trimmed so its only the solo, it'll help some of you to better watch it if you're on a slower connection. Please give some helpful feedback.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,253 Posts
Great, you're on Doc Kupka's steps. I also play one of those Berg beasties. Keep honking !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... and your comment about Doc made my face go :DDD lol I do love some Kupka in my day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna bump this video again just because I really want some creative opinions from all you experienced sax players because i am still blooming and entering the world of SAX

·
Registered
656 Posts
sounds to me like you've been practicing with a metronome, or you have a good sense of time. Good sound as well! Keep up the good work.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Great job--keep up the good work!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) thanks guys, That's the kind of stuff I've been looking for. I don't really practice with a metronome but I can play drums ( can't read the music ) and can make up my own little lines and what not so I do enjoy trying new rhythms and what not. That's my first solo for concert and was pushed into doing it ha. Thanks again.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great job! Keep working on it. People really love bari solos and I usually get a nice response and it sounded like you did too. Have fun with it and keep soloing. Don't let the bad ones, and it will happen, get you down, just keep playing and going for it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
whoever pushed you was doing the right thing.... looks like the girl next to you was really diggin you!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah.. lol she was a senior in the jazz band and plays Clarinet but she learned the Tenor so that she could do Jazz... The things people do, lol
I do have to say that I love playing my solos anytime and now that school is almost over we just group up and Jam on some certain keys with drums and Bass... needless to say I am the first to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
whoever pushed you was doing the right thing.... looks like the girl next to you was really diggin you!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing. You could see it in her face.

·
Registered
156 Posts
definitely a great bari solo. As for constructive criticisms, listen to and transcribe more funk players if that is indeed your genre. They don't have to be bari players or even sax players for that matter, what you should be concerned with learning is rythmic and motivic development. Sounds like you already have a good handle on the pentatonic/blues scale.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds fine, about listening to other players. I really like Funk and Jazz but the Funk definitely came through the most in that I believe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.