Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found a fantastic video of Arnett Cobb recorded in 1979 in The Hague (Netherlands). I was there as a 17 year old non playing jazz lover and it turned me to start playing tenor a few years later. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4qujkzcSA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Great video and performance. Unbelievably lush tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,245 Posts
That was fantastic, i checked out the video where Buddy Tate joins Arnett. Wow, that's a swingin' affair!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that duet with Buddy Tate is also great. I like especially the fours they exchange starting at 3:20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THXENfWaSoI

During this tenor battle (which included also Illinois Jacquet, Bud Johnson and Dexter Gordon) they also played a fantastic version of Flying Home, where Dex started his solo with some quotes of the original solo of Jacquet! Remember they played both tenor in Lionel Hamptons band when this was recorded around 1942. That version is not on YouTube, but I have it on tape (and CD).

Still got goosepimples when thinking of this concert...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,858 Posts
Arnett Cobb is incredible. I saw him in Austin with Asleep at the Wheel on the Television and have been entranced ever since by the Texas Tenor sound.

B

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I saw Arnett twice. He was among the most memorable and entertaining horn players ever. The time I saw him with Buddy Tate and Scott Hamilton it was billed as a tenor battle but it wasn't, Arnett was top dog all the way, Buddy held his own but couldn't compare and Scott looked young and scared and was kind of an afterthought. 30 years+ later I still have such strong memories of what a giant AC was on that stage.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw Arnett twice. He was among the most memorable and entertaining horn players ever. The time I saw him with Buddy Tate and Scott Hamilton it was billed as a tenor battle but it wasn't, Arnett was top dog all the way, Buddy held his own but couldn't compare and Scott looked young and scared and was kind of an afterthought. 30 years+ later I still have such strong memories of what a giant AC was on that stage.
Fully agree! I saw Arnett about 16 times, tried to catch up with him each time he visited the Netherlands, on each location during his tours. I have to say that his sound on most YouTube video's is less compared to his sound during the live performances I visited (the video listed above is a positive exception).

I remember him once playing with a great Dutch saxophonist in the (old) Bimhuis in Amsterdam. That young player had (and still has) a very big tone and was warming up his sax before the concert with lots of notes and a great sound. Then Arnett came on the bandstand (which was a real struggle for him because of his crutches and the fact that the podium was about 50 cm high) and I remember he just played one middle Cis (without using his hands) that filled up the room completely and left the young player sounding like a baby with asthma!

Those where nice times, I will never forget Mr. Cobb.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Arnett used to practice outside in Texas, playing to the great wide open. I think that would do nothing but help your tone. ;)

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh Bill, I red that too. And he would start very soft and end up as loud as possible. He must have scared the men on the Moon with that!

·
Registered
363 Posts
One thing I notice about Arnett's playing, more than most players, he plays the way a jazz/blues singer would sing making for a very vocal approach to phrasing and inflection.

@Bill Mecca: Playing outside is so great for improving your tone. I live in an apartment and can only play so loud, but it would be great to get outdoors and practice some time soon.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Dorono,

Indeed it's great when you can give all you have to your mouthpiece. In the past I couldn't practise at home at all and went by car to a quiet place to practise. But that made all inside windows of my car getting humid, so an occasional person passing by must have thought bad things about that!
Now I have the option to practise in a small office near my house, where I can play full speed late in the evening without bothering others. Only problem is finding time enough to do that!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed I'm glad with this office option (can only use it in the evenings, which is no problem because I work during daytime). In the past I also practised in a farmer-shed, between the patatoes at 4 degrees Celsius. The farmer liked it, because it kept the rats and mouses away from his patatoes!
Maybe you can find yourself somthing like that (at higher temps!).

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
During this tenor battle (which included also Illinois Jacquet, Bud Johnson and Dexter Gordon) they also played a fantastic version of Flying Home, where Dex started his solo with some quotes of the original solo of Jacquet! Remember they played both tenor in Lionel Hamptons band when this was recorded around 1942. That version is not on YouTube, but I have it on tape (and CD).
This 'Flying Home' video now also came available on YouTube. I posted the link in this SOTW thread:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...er-Gordon-and-Illinois-Jacquet-in-Flying-Home

1 - 20 of 22 Posts