Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It might sound silly, but was wondering around with this question... Why if you gotta maintain your leather goods, grease your leather shoes once in a while...Why not greasy the pads?

Regards!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Any grease or oil on pads makes them sticky.

Try it out yourself and you'll see.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Part of the problem aren't the pads but the tone holes. But that's beyond the specs of this thread, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I've used Neets Foot Oil for years. A very light application every 6 mos. or so with a cotton swab. No stickyness and my pads stay flexible for a long time. In fact, when my G# key has stuck, I've used Neets Foot oil and a cotton swab to clean it and it cures the sticking for an extended period. definately better than the powder cure.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It has been highlighted in this forum that Neatsfoot oil also makes the fibres of the leather very weak, inviting splitting of the pads. Look carefully for those almost invisible (but b adly leaking) cuts made by the tone holes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The old Erick Brand repair book recomends to clean off the pads with oil. It says putting oil on the pads is O K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
I have had good results with silicone, silicone is non sticking and will waterproof the pad somehow , it could also make the pad more supple

·
Registered
233 Posts
milandro- do you use a particular type of silicone? I've only seen silicone caulk sealant and silicone glue. Some sort of liquid in a tube I presume?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I have had good results with silicone, silicone is non sticking and will waterproof the pad somehow , it could also make the pad more supple
What kind of silicone are your using? Permatex or Armor All? :bluewink:

·
38,887 Posts
I use a silicone spray (bought two bottle years ago and I still have it) which I bought from a cheap supermarket something like this (looks like this I am not sure is the same product)

:tsk: some leather care products makers say that silicone shouldn't work and should actually be harmful some recommend it :tsk:...........[rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
sticky pads are more often caused by crud on the tonehole and not the pad, putting stuff on the pad is a temporary fix.

also you generally do not grease your shoes you wax them and your shoes are not located next a very tight tolerance mechanism. also shoes go on your feet and not in your saxophone, so I do not think it is a fair comparision.

if i overhauled a horn and a customer came back and had lathered oil all over everything, so goes the warranty on the overhaul.

·
38,887 Posts
the words " tight tolerance mechanism" makes me somewhat think of other and more complicated things......

If a saxophone would be a low tolerance mechanism the keys would need no pads and would be air-tight, pads are a low tech intelligent functional mechanism but hardly an example of a tight tollerance

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i am not sure what your point is, simple machines can have tight tolerances. and your hinge tubes and mechanism shoudl eb to a tight tolerance.

my point was that if your horn is set up right, and maintianed properly, and you dont' drink all sorts of diet soda/sugary drinks when you play, you really should not need to spray any crap on your pads. you would be better served figuring out why your pads are sticking rather than putting a band aid over the real problem which in the end may wind up causing more damage than good.

if spraying crap on your pads was a good idea (or even a marginally exceptable idea), i am sure every saxophone company would sell their own special blend of crap to spray on your pads. and we could have wonderful online discussions about why the selmer can of pad crap was better than the yamaha pad crap etc....

·
38,887 Posts
actually lots of pad makers protect their pads with some waterproofing agent.

A saxophone is not a highly sophisticated precision machine and that's why the pads are a simple and effective way to seal keys with a leather felt cushioned implement which will seal well enough what otherwise, due to its relatively low tech, mechanism wouldn't be sealing.

a valve of a high performance engine is a hight tech mechanism, a pad, isn't.

·
3,112 Posts
The old Erick Brand repair book recomends to clean off the pads with oil. It says putting oil on the pads is O K.
If the Eric Brand book told you to smear them with dog dirt, would you do that? Eric Brand's book was written decades ago and things have moved on since - although not always in the right direction. Modern pads are often made with some form of waterproof coated leather (usually a thin coating of plastic) which gets very sticky when contaminated with grease and oils, so it's best not to use anything greasy or oily on them or any pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Emilio Lyons the "sax doctor" when he does a re-pad his pads are "coated", and he recommends Old English Oil (yep, the furniture oil) evry now and then. But these are not plain pads, but coated with ... hmmmm...not even sure. Maybe smeone could chime in in regards to that ....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
When you find out that it's actually the laquer that encourages sticking and not the pad, what would you do?
In a way, greasing the pads is like driving with heated tyres in midwinter.

·
3,112 Posts
Emilio Lyons the "sax doctor" when he does a re-pad his pads are "coated", and he recommends Old English Oil (yep, the furniture oil) evry now and then. But these are not plain pads, but coated with ... hmmmm...not even sure. Maybe smeone could chime in in regards to that ....
I've read somewhere else on here that Emilio Lyons recommended spraying WD-40 on sax pads as well. How many have taken that advice?

Honestly, this thread is a total farce! If you believe all manner of crap, then good luck to you all!

One thing that will stop sticking pads permanently is dowsing the sax in petrol and setting light to it. Go ahead and try it and if it works, great. If it doesn't then f***ing sue me!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
I put the Old English Oil on my Emelio "coated" pads all the time. It works. Just not sure why, or what he "coats" the pads with first though...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts