Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on how to figure out the approx. value of my old Grassi alto. I would like to sell it, but don't know how much to ask for it. I tried Pete's ebay suggestion but found no closed auctions for a Grassi alto.
Serial number 27312, I understand is from 1974-5. Has green (jade) felts, but black rollers and 'normal' tan pads.
Some rust (?) on lower key attachments.
I haven't played it for @20 years - since just after college.
How can I figure out whether this is a basic student horn or has some actual value?
Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Sandra

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Impossible to know what it's worth without trying it. If it's in need a full repad/restore it might be worth $200. In tip top playing condition it could be worth 2 or 3 or even 4 times that amount, depending on how well it plays.

Also, the green felts are just green felts; it's not a "jade" anything. The "jade rollers" models had green rollers, like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewoodwindworkshop/5094404164/
(some were darker green than these, but green, nonetheless).

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,536 Posts
well, this is equivalent to a Jade roller and Manlio has in his classification called these a Grassi “ Standard Model”.

They are nice enough but nothing really special and virtually identical to the Jade Rollers..........the “ Jade Rollers” were not a special model or anything just the rollers that Grassi used at the time on this type of horn. By the way, back then they also used GREEN leather for the pads!

Anyway, these horns can be really cheap and their value depends a lot from where you are.

In many European countries they are rather common. They might be worth a bit more in the USA. If you are in Europe probably you won’t get more than 250 € for this , I think that in the States you might get a maximum of 500$........ tops.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I agree with everything milandro says here. A few years ago I paid $200 for an even older closet horn Grassi alto (serial #8867) and another $200 to restore it to good playing condition and I feel my $400 total spent was right in the midrange for what these horns are worth in terms of price. That is not to belittle their sound.... they are fine saxophones and play great.

I have seen some vintage Grassi altos go for more than $500 here in the US (up to $800), but not many and not often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts