Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across a Grassi 2000 alto at Saxquest. There is no price listed. Looks like a pretty nice horn with new pads. What is a fair price for one of these?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wow, this looks very much like the one that was listed on the Springfield, MO craigslist a few weeks back. The craigslist ad was several weeks old when I stumbled across it. I emailed the the seller who didn't reply, but then the posting then disappeared almost immediately. So, I missed it. :( I wonder if Mark O. found it and bought it? They are very good horns. I plan to be in StL in a couple weeks and Saxquest is on the list to visit. Maybe this horn will still be there then.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am conflicted about this, LOL. On the one hand, those of us who own a Grassi (or 2 or 3 or 4, heh) understand that they are great horns that have always been undervalued. On the other hand, one of the things that intrigues us about this brand is the very fact that hardly anybody knows how good they are, so very often we can buy them on the cheap. Now, no doubt due in no small part to all of us crowing about them, they are starting to sell for more "realistic" prices. Yay! This is great because someday I may want to sell a Grassi or two. But, boo! Now I may have to pay a little more to buy a really good one. Sigh. :)

I'll say this. I think $1400 is a higher price than a Grassi model 2000 would have sold for a few years ago.

But this is not a run of the mill horn. The Model 2000 is a true pro saxophone. It is worth more than the "standard" Grassis that preceded it. The "standard" horns are fine instruments, too, but lack the more modern ergos and higher quality keywork found on the Model 2000, the later Professional 2000, and the Prestige models.

OK let's play a little value comparison game. The private party Craigslist ad I mentioned earlier listed that Model 2000 alto for $350. I have no idea if this is that very same horn or not, since I didn't copy down the serial number from the Craigslist ad before it was taken down. It was also hard to tell from the 3 somewhat fuzzy Craigslist photos if that horn was in as fine shape as the Saxquest horn appears to be. And, although the Craigslist ad said that horn was in "good playable shape," who knows what work it really needed? Maybe less than a full overhaul, maybe not. In any case, somebody got a GREAT deal on that horn. $350 is a fair price for an older "standard" Grassi alto that needs new pads and regulation. It was an obscenely sweet deal for a Model 2000 in fair shape, and I was sad that I didn't find about it in time to buy it myself.

So, let's add $350 to that Craigslst horn and you're up to $700, which is what I would call a fair price for a standard Grassi in good working order. Now, add another $400 for the Model 2000 improvements and scarcity and we're up to $1100. That's a private seller price with no warranty, no returns. We also need to consider the shop time and materials that Saxquest put into the horn. So, even though I gasped a little at first when you mentioned the Saxquest price, their $1400 asking price is not out of bounds, at all.

Here's another comparison. Stuart Sax of Florida recently sold very near mint condition, gold plated Grassi Prestige alto it had listed for $2,000. And it was worth that price. (side note: I don't know the final negotiated sales price, but I REALLY wanted to buy that horn from Robert; I just didn't have the funds available in time and he found another lucky buyer in the meantime). In a few years, as more professional players discover these horns, that Prestige may well bring quite a bit more than that.

I suspect the Grassi Model 2000 and Professional 2000 horns will continue to appreciate, as well.

But the real bottom line is how it plays for you. Can you get to StL to try it out before you buy it? If not, Saxquest's free shipping and their very realistic return policy is a big plus. If you CAN get to St Louis to try it out, do so! You can play it side by side with a VI, maybe a BA, a Buescher, and a Conn 6M or Transitional -- then decide for yourself how high your boat gets floated. (You may want to plan your visit before I get there.... heh!)

I am not going to get into the "Grassi compares to a Selmer Mark VI" game, other than to say those of us who own both don't mind blowing the Grassi even when we have the choice. Now, compare the price of that Model 2000 Grassi to the cheapest most beat up VI you will ever find and.... yes, there is still a lot of value there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am one of those new "Grassifan." I have played since 3 months with a tenor "Professional 2000" and I find it great. I had the opportunity to try a few older models and I found them also very good. Many Italians players consider the best production was made during the 70's, early 80's. I do not know what I should think about it. To make my own idea I bought two Grassi tenor, 35xxx and 41xxx. They are in a friend home in Rome. I'll go to get them end of April. I will take the time to really test them and then publish a thread on this forum to give my opinion.
For the price of that alto, I do not know as the prices are so different in Europe and in the States. The models 2000 are not so common. The fact that it is gold plated should add something on the price. Of course the best for you would be to test it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Dave, the Prestige sold for a little less than the asking price on the 2000 and it took forever to find serious buyers at anywhere near that. I could have held it longer but really wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and that, too, came down to you and Thang N.

It will be interesting to see if the 2000 sells.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@ un litro de chel bon
No, they have no model name. They are on the document of MMM the so called « Standart MkIII ». Same saxes that the ones played by Eli Degibri and Danyart Ricciu.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am one of those new "Grassifan." I have played since 3 months with a tenor "Professional 2000" and I find it great. I had the opportunity to try a few older models and I found them also very good. Many Italians players consider the best production was made during the 70's, early 80's. I do not know what I should think about it. To make my own idea I bought two Grassi tenor, 35xxx and 41xxx. They are in a friend home in Rome. I'll go to get them end of April. I will take the time to really test them and then publish a thread on this forum to give my opinion.....
I, too, look forward to your reviews of these different Grassi horns after you get them near the end of April. Good luck!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dave, the Prestige sold for a little less than the asking price on the 2000 and it took forever to find serious buyers at anywhere near that. I could have held it longer but really wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and that, too, came down to you and Thang N.

It will be interesting to see if the 2000 sells.
I'm glad your Prestige alto found a good home with a player who will use it and appreciate it. I'm hoping Thang N will write up a little review of it and maybe record a few minutes so we can hear how well it suits him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to play this horn and it is indeed a very nice saxophone! It felt great in the hands, very comfortable to hold, key action felt great, only thing I didn't like was the octave key, it was a little unusual. The pads looked brand new and the lacquer was in really nice shape, the horn was really nice and clean too. I really enjoyed the sound of the horn, it had a great solid core to the sound. Didn't check it with the tuner but the pitch seemed really to good my ears. I can see why some folks love these Grassis, they are definitely underrated. Its a really good horn!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was able to play this horn and it is indeed a very nice saxophone! It felt great in the hands, very comfortable to hold, key action felt great, only thing I didn't like was the octave key, it was a little unusual. The pads looked brand new and the lacquer was in really nice shape, the horn was really nice and clean too. I really enjoyed the sound of the horn, it had a great solid core to the sound. Didn't check it with the tuner but the pitch seemed really to good my ears. I can see why some folks love these Grassis, they are definitely underrated. Its a really good horn!
Hall,
That's great that you got to Saxquest to check it out. Were you able to compare it to any other horns there? Are you planning to buy it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, don't think I'll buy it. I've decided to save up for a Senzo. And I've already played lots of those horns at Saxquest. Its really a lot of fun to go to Saxquest since they have so many horns. They coat the walls with them! I'd say that Grassi comes closest to the ergos and sound of the Selmer Super Action 80's, same core to the sound, same comfy key work. I imagine they'd take $1200 for it, maybe a little more, who knows, so its a great horn for that kind of change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My opinion is that the the Super Action 80's are failed instruments. And I realy believe that my Professional 2000 is way better than any post Mk VI I have tested. (still the ref36 to go)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That's quite an endorsement for Grassi however, I don't see how what is perhaps the most successful of Selmer's saxes can be considered a failure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's quite an endorsement for Grassi however, I don't see how what is perhaps the most successful of Selmer's saxes can be considered a failure.
Very easy,
Play, listen and make his own opinion. Without prejudice.
But I beleive we do not have the same referential. Anyway for me commercial success and mass production are not really quality indices ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Very easy,
Play, listen and make his own opinion. Without prejudice.
But I beleive we do not have the same referential. Anyway for me commercial success and mass production are not really quality indices ...
Agreed.... Fords far outnumber Aston-Martins. :bluewink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts