Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grassi 2000 Alto - So Surprised!

Ok, so I’m working in the sticks this past week, 3 hotels in five days, etc... So in my spare time I’m looking for a Bari Sax on Craigslist. To keep it simple, I just search Saxophone. Nothing came up in the the way of Baris but a pristine Grassi 2000 Alto did. Small detour on the 3 hour drive to the airport, so I checked out and bought the horn. I wasn’t looking for an Alto but this horn is perfect, as in like new and played probably a few hours, and it plays great top to bottom. This horn seems is ringing and Selmerish. I had one a couple years ago but not in the same league as this one. My previous horn had been played a good bit and had a mix of pads, so guessing this horn has a far better setup from the factory. So, those of you with Grassis, how would you classify their tone?

View attachment 218526

View attachment 218528

View attachment 218530

View attachment 218532

·
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Very pleasantly surprised with the feel and tone of this horn, very different from my B&S. This horn has a sweeter tone and is very balanced across the range with great intonation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Wow, THAT is a score.

It's sorta hilarious at this point that these don't have a much higher market value in the 'states.

·
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Grassi 2000 Alto - So Surprised!

My Professional 2000 reminds me a lot of a Selmer Mrk VII that I played in HS and college.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Re: Grassi 2000 Alto - So Surprised!

Focused yet not narrow, warm, balanced, sweet....Italian.
I recently started playing my Grassi Professional bari again, because I was asked for the bari sax part in a quartet. She is in need of some TLC but the sound fits your description. It's a streamlined but warm sound. My only objection is the low A mechanism; it is clunky, and relies on too many moving parts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,870 Posts
I bought and sold one, well used, Professional 2000 alto and, pretty much like the Wonderful which I had before, it felt and played very well, even with old pads.

I sold it to a Polish buyer here in the NL who then sends the horns he buys to his cousin with a shop in Poland where Grassi are particularly well though of.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
The model PROFESSIONAL AND 2000 are of interest to me too

Great find!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts