Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grassi 2000 Alto - So Surprised!

Ok, so I'm working in the sticks this past week, 3 hotels in five days, etc... So in my spare time I'm looking for a Bari Sax on Craigslist. To keep it simple, I just search Saxophone. Nothing came up in the the way of Baris but a pristine Grassi 2000 Alto did. Small detour on the 3 hour drive to the airport, so I checked out and bought the horn. I wasn't looking for an Alto but this horn is perfect, as in like new and played probably a few hours, and it plays great top to bottom. This horn seems is ringing and Selmerish. I had one a couple years ago but not in the same league as this one. My previous horn had been played a good bit and had a mix of pads, so guessing this horn has a far better setup from the factory. So, those of you with Grassis, how would you classify their tone?

Musical instrument Reed instrument Musical instrument accessory Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Drinkware Musical instrument Barware Fluid Drink

Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Audio equipment

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Very pleasantly surprised with the feel and tone of this horn, very different from my B&S. This horn has a sweeter tone and is very balanced across the range with great intonation.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Grassi 2000 Alto - So Surprised!

Focused yet not narrow, warm, balanced, sweet....Italian.
I recently started playing my Grassi Professional bari again, because I was asked for the bari sax part in a quartet. She is in need of some TLC but the sound fits your description. It's a streamlined but warm sound. My only objection is the low A mechanism; it is clunky, and relies on too many moving parts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,884 Posts
I bought and sold one, well used, Professional 2000 alto and, pretty much like the Wonderful which I had before, it felt and played very well, even with old pads.

I sold it to a Polish buyer here in the NL who then sends the horns he buys to his cousin with a shop in Poland where Grassi are particularly well though of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.