Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased (hasn't arrived yet, so ebay pics) a GRBI USA Alto Saxophone in silver plate for restoration.
Body SN/Stamped: 109xxx and PAT.APLD.FOR

Any information anyone might have on its year of manufacture etc would be much appreciated.
The confusing part as for dating is the lack of York beveled tone holes (I have seen them on other GRBI horns, unless those were just damaged, heh) which was the only patents York applied for that I am aware of.. So being stamped PAT.APLD.FOR makes it curious to date as that should assert the patents (1925/1926) for the tone holes this horn doesn't even have..

..and first post!

Thanks

Anyway, pics:
View attachment 231514 View attachment 231516 View attachment 231518 View attachment 231520 View attachment 231524

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m assessing that it was manufactured somewhere between mid/late 1926 - mid 1928, so possibly a 2.5yr accuracy window.

My deduction, and if anyone has a differing deduction please comment, is if assuming manufacturing standards were followed, then GRBI would not have stamped “PAT.APLD.FOR” unless they were implementing the patent pending key-stop design (their other patented beveled tone holes weren’t implemented) which they applied for in mid 1926 and granted in early/mid 1929.

However I did not include 1929 in its possible manufacture range due to a Oct 1928 newspaper article I saw from the Grand Rapids Gazette (or something like that) that wrote about J.W. York and Sons company, number of employees, community benefits, etc and yet did not mention the GRBI subsidiary. In addition it is essentially accepted, as a result of the 1930 city business census and chamber of commerce, that GRBI was no longer a company by 1930. So there is a grey area of when GRBI ceased to be a company between late 1928 and 1930.

So manufactured after patent is applied for in 1926 but prior to patent awarded in 1929 and GRBI not even mentioned in late 1928 would give me a possible range of mid/late 1926 to mid 1928..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts