Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a maddening problem with a relatively new (to me) sax. When I play I keep getting a grainy, spittle-like sound. I've read a pretty good thread on spit/condensation sound and tried some of the remedies but they haven't worked. Last night I took another sax out and the same problem wasn't there. So here's my question.

Do any of you techs and other experienced folks know of a technical problem that can make a sax have the same kind of sound that condensation/spittle makes? If so, naturally, what is the solution?

FWIW, the sax was used when I bought it and I think had been sitting around for a long time before it was sold. It has not been to a repair person since I got it. It plays otherwise well. Thanks.

·
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordon (NZ) said:
Poor compromises in acoustic design? What brand/model is it?
Hi Gordon! It's a YTS 82 Z; probably about four years old and it's either used or has been sitting around in a warehouse someplace all this time. I don't know if it's relevant but it has no F# key (not removed - never there).

The sound does not seem like it's coming from anyplace but near my face. It's not a rattling. It sounds like a very grainy white-noise. I suppose it could be condensation/spittle but I've been really trying to compensate for that.

BTW, I've used a variety of reeds and mpcs - same basic sound.

Saxaholic - thanks for the tips. I ran fast-running water through the neck last night and out the octave hole as well. Haven't played it yet today, but before I ran the water, I looked down the neck with a light and it looked pretty clear.

Saxland - thanks for the comment. Faulty air support wouldn't be a factor for me, though.

·
27,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grumps said:
Hey Gary, does it make the annoying sound right when you pick up the horn, or after you've played it a while?
LOL. It starts making an annoying sound as soon as I start reaching for it!! :D

No, actually Grumps it's as soon as I play it. It's immediate.
I was playing it this afternoon and my D's were stuffier than a Yamaha should be and I was having to humour them. Also the low B, Bb have always been a little problematic (this coming from a JK owner and long-time Conn player) so I think I really should take it to a tech and then get back to you folks.

I've tried all the suggestions so far and nothing's clearing it up and I don't want to waste your collective time. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts