Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I posted on the surprise I had trying a B5 Alto Graftonite. It was a very nice playing piece, but a little too bright for my taste so it was set aside. I still have it, but it is getting little use. However, a buddy of mine gave me an A7 Alto piece that he didn't like. To me, it really plays nice. Very easy to blow and quick response. While nice and dark, it does not feel like a classical piece to me. It probably would if it were a closer tip. I could happily use this for whatever venue I play. I am not sure it will become my main piece, but dollar for dollar, it is very impressive. Now I am curious about an A7 Tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I have had them in Soprano, Alto, tenor and bari. I din't like the alto at all but I love the tenors. I even got a B5, A5 and a M5 metalite. Go for a tenor and you should be good. Amazon usually have them cheap. I think I paid about $14 for my A5 shipped.

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is your favorite for tenor? (I have an M5 Metalite but I cant seem to make friends with.) It would sure be funny if, after years of spending bunches of $$, I ended up playing the Rico pieces.

I have had them in Soprano, Alto, tenor and bari. I din't like the alto at all but I love the tenors. I even got a B5, A5 and a M5 metalite. Go for a tenor and you should be good. Amazon usually have them cheap. I think I paid about $14 for my A5 shipped.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I like the M5 or the B5. Just different mouthpieces. since you like the B5 for alto, maybe you should go with a B7 or M7. Cheap enough!

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might try an A7 and a B7. The darkness of the A7 might get me close to Getz. I wonder about an M9

·
Registered
162 Posts
I recorded an entire album using graftonite pieces. B5 for alto and C7 for tenor. Once you get used to thier tendencies you can get a pretty decent sound out of them. They have the best altisimmo access I have ever found on any piece, especially on the tenor. The alto has a certain 'zinging' timbre to the sound that I like. I've been tempted for years to send two pieces to a refacer to see what improvements can be made especially as it pertains to their facing and flexiblity of tone. (The altos especially are very one-dimensional, but works very well in that one dimension if that is what you are looking for.) I haven't pulled the trigger yet as the cost of the reface would be about 4 times what one costs brand new! I am open to any refacer who wants to work on it as an experimental (ie. reduced service charge:twisted:) project with me just for curiosity sake!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
659 Posts
My alto Graftonite plays well with metal ligatures,but with a Rovner, its real stuffy. I'm trying to find an alto Metalite to try. Don't know why they don't make an alto one.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've had a good experience with a Graftonite mouthpiece as well. I play Yamaha mouthpieces on all my horns; I've tried others, mostly in the sub $100 range, and kept coming back to the Yamahas. I then ordered a Graftonite A5 for my alto, and was very impressed. It gave a warmer sound, and just really played very well. I too am looking to put one on my tenor real soon.

·
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I received an A7 and an M9 for tenor. Both were very nice. I am amazed at how easy blowing the A7 is and has a nice dark tone, not stuffy. I am not sure if it would replace my main piece, but it is surprisingly good.

The real surprise was the M9. I never felt I had control of my M5; especially in the lower range of the horn. It just seemed to fight me all the time. I had come to the conclusion that high baffle pieces were not for me. Obviously, the combination of the closed tip and the baffle was the problem. The M9 works very nicely up and down the entire range of the horn and blows very easily. Flexible, powerful and a nice bright edge, but no sacrifice of bottom. It is the first high baffle piece I actually enjoy playing. This may become my go mouthpiece to for rock and r&b.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I have a 1962 Martin Medalist tenor, and the A-5 is just right for it. Nice warm tone, easy to play through the range and can get loud if you lean on it. Cannot beat the price. I keep B-5s in my glove compartments to do exercises on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts