Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I was judging at NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association) spring solo festival this past friday and saturday and heard a high school kid playing a bari solo on a Rico Royal Graftonite B7 mouthpiece, and he sounded really good! In fact, I was listening before I knew what piece he was playing, and I really liked his sound. Even, responsive, fairly dark..a representative classical bari sound. I figured for 17.95 fro WWBW, I'd give one a shot. Anyone have any experience using one of these in classical...concert band or quartet setting???

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
They are a good all around mouthpiece. They play better than mouthpieces costing 5 times as much in some cases. Arnold Brilhart left us with some wonderful designs.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Graftonites aren't too bad, especially on bari. I have one as a backup to my backup in case anything happens. Certainly useable in a classical situation.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My first bari piece was a Graftonite B7. Since I've seitched to a Selmer S80 C*, HR Berg, JodyJazz ESP, Metal Berg, and Vandoren Optimum. I still love to play on the Graftonite, it's a great piece, especially for the bari player with no extra cash around.

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
odsum25 said:
Graftonites aren't too bad, especially on bari. I have one as a backup to my backup in case anything happens. Certainly useable in a classical situation.
Hey! "is your backup to your backup" a bari? Which model? Maybe you could stop by sometime and let me take a test ride! Let me know.

Steve

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah, it's for bari. If you want I can drop it in your mailbox. Considering I have two other mouthpieces and no bari of my own, it's not a real big deal. This one is a B5 facing, .100, but feels pretty comfortable even though I'm usually playing on a .120 for jazz work. The B3 is .090 I think. It's a pretty versatile piece.

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Odsum, that'd be great.... Don't make a special trip though.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No problem, I'm up around Vassar all the time. I'll probably be swinging through the area tomorrow sometime. I actually reccomended the Graftonite pieces to the RCK staff as a nice alternative for their kids just doing a little work on bari.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts