Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to compile a list of possible grad school's. I would like to stay within the Rascher/German school ( currently at Fredonia). I know a few schools, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything that could potentially be worthwhile. If anyone could make some suggestions, let me know!

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are you going to graduate school for? Performance? To get a teaching gig? To kill time while you figure out how to make money once you get out of school?

Figure out the reason for grad school, this will help steer you in the right direction.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,595 Posts
Florida State
Northern Arizona
Arkansas

If you want a change in the weather, try Florida State. Northern Arizona seems to be hopping these days. I heard the sax choir from Arkansas about a year and a half ago, and they were quite good.

Houlik is not exactly in the Rascher direct tradition. His approach is pretty eclectic and that's an advantage, I think. I know players who have gone through his tutelage on Rascher setups and others who have gone through on French setups. It's all about the music with him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
University of Florida (Jonathan Helton)

I'm a 1st year grad student here, and I really enjoy studying with him. Also, they give out good assistantships so if money is a factor it's definately worth looking into. If you wanna know more message me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
saxysai said:
University of Florida (Jonathan Helton)

I'm a 1st year grad student here, and I really enjoy studying with him. Also, they give out good assistantships so if money is a factor it's definately worth looking into. If you wanna know more message me.
Great plan if you would like to run as far away from the Rascher school as possible. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.