Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to go back to school to study Music Performance after teaching for the last 8 years, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm good to go with my equipment. My biggest concern is my alto sax setup, as I quit playing alto in 7th grade, and didn't pick it back up until college. When we had a change in professors it was a nightmare for me because he expected us to all have the correct level altos and I was relegated to using one of the school's student Yamahas, since I only owned a Bundy-II. After college I purchased a 1926 Conn New Wonder-II, which has been my primary alto for performing for the last 8 years. What is the professional quality of the NW-II? I'm not really excited about dropping several grand on a new alto, but I have been looking at all options.

· Registered
764 Posts
Won't grad school treat you like an adult--any reason you can't call the Woodwinds Chair and even all the sax faculty and ask them? And if you audition with the Conn, should you not get immediate feedback whether the sound is adequate or not?

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,753 Posts
Good bits of advice so far. Particularly the "call the professor" bits. It'll really vary from program to program, and music programs are very heavily shaped by the professors in charge.

I will say that if you sound really good on that Conn, you shouldn't have much to worry about. A good friend of mine from school, Brad Danho (who now plays tenor in one of the premiere military jazz bands, the Army Jazz Ambassadors), played on a '20s or '30s Conn alto while we were in the program at North Texas together. He sounded absolutely murderous on that Conn and our saxophone professor, Jim Riggs, who normally loves his Selmers, didn't mind one bit. If you're comfortable on that horn and you can make it sound like you, save your money.

I, personally, love Japanese and German keywork, so I'm stuck on the likes of Yamaha, Yanagisawa, B&S, or Keilwerth.

· Clueless how he got this title
1,199 Posts
My question is, are you going for classical or jazz? For jazz I am sure you would be fine but for classical you are more than likely going to be asked to have a "modern" pro level horn.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
My question is, are you going for classical or jazz? For jazz I am sure you would be fine but for classical you are more than likely going to be asked to have a "modern" pro level horn.
Answering this should tell a lot. But, if you're planning on spending a couple years INVESTING with a sax professor, you really should start a relationship. Then again, maybe you haven't decided on a University?

-Bubba-

· Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
2,012 Posts
not that i've got the grad school experience, but is not the old Buescher True Tone (Sigurd Rascher and all that) considered a choice pro "classical" horn? obviously, the best resolution would be the faculty having absolutely no problem with you sticking with your preferred Conn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.