Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
YAS-23
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm on the market for a sax this year and I've been looking around. I've come across a used Grassi Prestige alto from the 90s (I'm assuming). It has what appears to be a dark cognac lacquer and nickle keys and looks to be in decent shape. The asking price is around 1,000 euros (I live in Spain). Only thing is...I wouldn't be able to try it out before buying. What do you guys think, is this one worth the gamble? What is this particular sax comparable to? Any help would be appreciated as I don't know much about these.

· Registered
YAS-23
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the photos again today, it looks to be in excellent condition, at least cosmetically. Very little wear...probably has been a closet horn for quite some time now.

I'm asking the seller for a few more pics so I can see the logo and serial number.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,389 Posts
Looking at the photos again today, it looks to be in excellent condition, at least cosmetically. Very little wear...probably has been a closet horn for quite some time now.

I'm asking the seller for a few more pics so I can see the logo and serial number.
As noted a VERY good sax. For 1000eur - $1100usd, it should play up and down if not perfectly cleanly then at least with a bit of nudging. If the seller cannot guarantee that it does speak up and down half-respectably, you should offer a bit less, and assume it will need 100-200eur of tech attention.

Even if he doesn't budge on the price and it needs 200 of work, it still would not be a 'bad' deal.....

· Registered
YAS-23
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The posting says it was "revisado recientemente" which translates to "recently reviewed"...it doesn't quite translate right but it means it's been to a tech recently...so I would assume it's playable to whatever degree. My Spanish isn't good enough to know exactly what kind of work that means...I assume a standard setup/adjustment.

· Registered
YAS-23
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Musical instrument Purple Sleeve Textile Magenta

This is one of the pics...look at the horn & the case...looks very clean. The red interior of the case makes the body of the sax look darker, it's actually a standard gold color. They said it was purchased over 30 years ago though...what's your take? I'm still waiting on a few more pics...what else should I ask for?

· Registered
YAS-23
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a winner....just as @saxcop says, it should read "Prestige" on it. If it does, I say go for it. Even if it needs a bit of tech work, it's still not a bad price and there really aren't many of these around.
Ok, I've been in contact with the seller. It seems that the seller is a woman and I'm just guessing it was perhaps her husband's sax(?). No idea...she said the sax is at her son's house and that she would take more pictures when she goes there next week. I guess the plus side is that I could offer a lower price and see what happens since the posting has been up for a few months already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts