Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a quick trip last Saturday night after learning from a friend that Derek Brown was in Savannah, GA. playing with Jody Espina's trio at the local Cuban restaurant. I am originally from Savannah but live an hour and a half south now.

Derek is on his 50/50 tour hitting every state, and I guess he decided to make Savannah his Georgia stop since he plays Jody's DV mouthpiece.

Really cool cat and a great player. He did a couple of his tunes which was really awesome to see live, but slayed it on the straight ahead stuff with Jody's trio. Got to chat a bit with him between sets and was a genuinely friendly and down to earth guy. After the first set Jody came over to my table to chat and asked if I had brought my horn, and it was one of the few times that I did not throw a horn into the car when going somewhere....lol. It was a killer show, not to mention the food at the place is amazing. If anyone is in Savannah at any time, Jody's trio or quartet plays almost every weekend at this place in downtown Savannah, so you can always catch a show. Place is called Rancho Alegre.

View attachment 221464

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Got to meet Derek brown This Weekend

Hmmm....sorry folks not sure why that posted a link to the photo I uploaded rather than displaying the pic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts

So I made a quick trip last Saturday night after learning from a friend that Derek Brown was in Savannah, GA. playing with Jody Espina's trio at the local Cuban restaurant. I am originally from Savannah but live an hour and a half south now.

Derek is on his 50/50 tour hitting every state, and I guess he decided to make Savannah his Georgia stop since he plays Jody's DV mouthpiece.

Really cool cat and a great player. He did a couple of his tunes which was really awesome to see live, but slayed it on the straight ahead stuff with Jody's trio. Got to chat a bit with him between sets and was a genuinely friendly and down to earth guy. After the first set Jody came over to my table to chat and asked if I had brought my horn, and it was one of the few times that I did not throw a horn into the car when going somewhere....lol. It was a killer show, not to mention the food at the place is amazing. If anyone is in Savannah at any time, Jody's trio or quartet plays almost every weekend at this place in downtown Savannah, so you can always catch a show. Place is called Rancho Alegre.

View attachment 221464
My wife and I LOVE Savannah, we go every year. Will be back in February for a 5k race, so I'll make sure we make it a point to check out the restaurant.

Is that jazz club on Broughton still open, do you know?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My wife and I LOVE Savannah, we go every year. Will be back in February for a 5k race, so I'll make sure we make it a point to check out the restaurant.

Is that jazz club on Broughton still open, do you know?
Yeah it is. Good Times Jazz Club. Still going and kicking from what I have seen. I follow them on Facebook and they bring in some good acts. It makes me really happy to see that, as when I was there I always found it hard to find any kind of jazz stuff going on outside of the Savannah Jazz Festival. I do miss Savannah sometimes.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
314 Posts

I got to see him in Orlando this past week. He played his solo music. Like seeing Bobby Mc Ferrin on saxophone. The show was super entertaining. I agree that he is very humble and down to earth. My wife, whom I wouldn't imagine would like his show, enjoyed it very much.

I came out of the presentation thinking that he is one of a kind who is actually pushing the boundaries of what can be physically done with the instrument. In my opinion he is super talented; a hidden gem.

There is a masterclass of him at "Bird Sax Boutique" in youtube, where he explains how he came out with the idea of playing solo saxophone and some of his techniques which is also very entertaining and enlightening.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQluwgNwcXY

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

That guy is special, his playing blows me away. I think, by aggregating the extended techniques like he has, he's taken solo saxophone playing to another level. If someone knows of another player pushing it like this, I'd love to hear it, please!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts