Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, gang. I've been looking to replace my Olds Parisian Ambassador tenor. I'm looking for something that would be a nice 'peer' for my Selmer SA-80 alto.

I've been presented with three possible deals:

1. A Mark VII (low serial number, fully engraved) that is in mint condition listed for $3000 on consignment, but the dealer tells me the guy would take less. The dealer says the horn may never have seriously been played.

2. A Yamaha Custom Z in near-mint condition, listed for $2495.

3. A Yamaha YTS-875 in near-mint condition, listed for $2000 on Craigslist.

What would you choose, provided they are all in the condition listed?

Another option is that my wife is traveling to France soon and will be in Paris for a couple of days. Anyone know if there are places where used Selmers are cheap?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Which one is the best player?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
1. 875 sounds like the best deal and would be the one I called about first. If it played well enough, I'd buy it and not look back.
2. Z sounds good too, would want to play it though.
3. I am not interested in a VII at all, unless I thought I could make money on it. At that price I don't think you can.

If either of the Yamahas turned out to not be a long-term match, I doubt you'd lose much money in flipping them, that looks like pretty good pricing to me and I am sure you'd get them down a couple hundred at least in both cases.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
1. 875 sounds like the best deal and would be the one I called about first. If it played well enough, I'd buy it and not look back.
2. Z sounds good too, would want to play it though.
3. I am not interested in a VII at all, unless I thought I could make money on it. At that price I don't think you can.

If either of the Yamahas turned out to not be a long-term match, I doubt you'd lose much money in flipping them, that looks like pretty good pricing to me and I am sure you'd get them down a couple hundred at least in both cases.
Yes, what he said(+1)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
The best playing yamaha tenor I have ever had was a lacquered 82z....by far. I've had 2 875s I was an ex....and about 3 62 tenors....2 were purple logo type....for me the 82z was superior.

·
1,020 Posts
OK, gang. I've been looking to replace my Olds Parisian Ambassador tenor. I'm looking for something that would be a nice 'peer' for my Selmer SA-80 alto.

I've been presented with three possible deals:

1. A Mark VII (low serial number, fully engraved) that is in mint condition listed for $3000 on consignment, but the dealer tells me the guy would take less. The dealer says the horn may never have seriously been played.

2. A Yamaha Custom Z in near-mint condition, listed for $2495.

3. A Yamaha YTS-875 in near-mint condition, listed for $2000 on Craigslist.

What would you choose, provided they are all in the condition listed?

Another option is that my wife is traveling to France soon and will be in Paris for a couple of days. Anyone know if there are places where used Selmers are cheap?
**What's wrong with the Pierret? IMO it's closer sonically to a Selmer (I've had 2 Parisian tenors) than a Yami!! I too feel that the MkVII sounds overpriced but if it is mint and you like Selmers... or you try to get a Series I from someone on the Forum, that would be the best match IMO.
Pricewise (if near mint) No.3 sounds like the best deal.

I don't think you'll get a Selmer cheaper in France than here, check out the exchange rate. Plus you want to testplay the horn before commiting to buy, right?

G'luck!

·
7,212 Posts
Easy, I'd choose the fully engraved mint VII.
I own one and love mine.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Mark VII.

I believe it will more closely match the timbre of your SA80 Alto.

But, if you like the Yamaha 875, I say pick that one up. I owned one and it would match second most & the Z next, in my opinion.

I say offer $2700 on the VII & see what he says.

Good luck finding a horn. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
1. The VII is a little high. These usually bring about $2,500 or less on eBay. $3K might be right in a brick and mortar store.
2. The Custom Z is exactly on the money.
3. The 875 appears a little under-priced and a bargain. But I would be careful of Craigslist and wouldn't consider it unless I could buy it in person.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
I would pick the 875. The mk VII might also be a great choice, but you need to hold it first to make sure it feels comfortable. Some players find the finger stretches difficult on this model. They're all good tenors.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
+1 for the 875. I would buy one at that price for sure.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I've owned both a YTS-875 and a Custom Z. I sold the 875 without a second thought when I bought the Z (which I still own and keep as a backup to my SBA). For me, the Z was just a better-blowing horn. Both seem to be decently-priced given the current market.

The VII could very well be a monster, but I would probably not buy one without testing it first--it seems the ergos are challenging for some players. Can't comment on the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
If the VII interests you, offer $2,000.00 and see what happens.
This is what I would do. The shop probably doesn't care what it sells for, as long as it sells and they get their commission. Let them talk the buyer into letting it go for a net 2000 to him - and you get it for that plus the rate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
I don't have good knowledge of any of those horns but I wouldn't make a decision until I'd played all 3. Then the choice should be obvious. If it isn't, then pick one and make a lowball offer. Even if the choice is clear, make a lowball offer and see what happens.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
No doubt about it Mark VII but only if mint condition and paying no more than $2300-2500 tops otherwise walk away with the Yamaha Z which I thought played great when I tested it locally. B

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Tough one! I owned a VII Tenor for several years and it was a big sounding, dark playing horn, very solid with all the Selmer quirks. I liked it, but moved to a VI because I liked it better. My experience with Yamahas has been limited, trials only. They are perfectly built, but I found the 875 a little stuffy. Never tried a Z. Any of these would be great, but I'd probably try to get the VII at $2300 - $2500.00. As far as the ergos, unless you have really small hands you'll probably get used to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
I'm not liking the ergos on my VI lately - where is this VII you speak of?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saxmanjack - the VII is at Marsh Woodwinds in Raleigh NC (marshwoodwinds.com), as is the Custom Z.

I decided to get the YTS-875 for $2K. I played it this evening and it was pretty darn good. I'll have to get used to it, of course - not as much backpressure as I get from the Olds, but on stage I tend to overblow and go flat if the monitors don't work well (like usual), so maybe that'll combat that tendency. Beautiful horn, with just some light neckstrap hook scratches. Seller told me his dad was a rich guy that never bought anything cheap and one day decided to play the sax and bought this horn. After a month of trying he gave up and it's been in the case. I presume the Dad passed away and the son inherited it. He doesn't play at all, so he's selling it.

Anyway, I'll try it for a couple of weeks, and if I don't fall in love, I can take it to the dealer in Raleigh and see if he'll trade me that Mark VII.

Nothing in particular wrong with the Olds, by the way. It plays like a bazooka as long as you don't go above high C. Tends to be flat, but I have room to push the mouthpiece in a long way. Upper register is thin and a bit shrill. I get such good performance from my SA-80 Alto that I want the tenor to be just as good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts