Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out the audience reaction to my playing on What Is This and My One and Only at last nights jam. Some possibilities:
1. They didn't think I can play at all
2. They thought it was a joke
3. They didn't hear the lack of 8th note lines, wildly contrasting vibrato, superimposed ii V's, ridiculous double time, multiphonics and crazy trills and radical dynamic shifts.

Hmmm I may be on to something. I had a great time. My wife waited up for me it was like the good ol days but better since my 3 year old said it best. "some daddy's work after bedtime."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Depends on the audience. I tend to think that an audience that responds to #3 is filled with jazz school grads. Civilians don't generally find that sort of solo all that interesting (look at the sales numbers of "Kind of Blue" vs. late period Trane if you need confirmation on this). They seem to want a melodic statement played with real emotional connection that has something to do with the melody of the tune or at least one that can be followed and makes sense. They don't want to be assaulted or insulted. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
So we can assume that it was not a Standing O with women's undergarments being thrown at the stage?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I agree with you G to a point that's why the room was full of players. Time and place for everything I'd say.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
4. Too sexy for them. :)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Music does not matter to life. You can't eat it nor drink it, lack of it will not kill you.

If you had a good time then all is well. Hopefully you nurtured a few other souls as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Music does not matter to life. You can't eat it nor drink it, lack of it will not kill you.
Speak for yourself on that one!

Hey vonbraig... good for you to get out there and play. Our playing deficiencies tend to get fixed more rapidly the more we do this. As far as the audience, particularly an audience of players, I wouldn't read anything into their response (or lack of). Keep going to jam sessions, listen to how you are interacting, and let it be a growth process. I have had the experience of being removed from a stage at a jam session, so until that happens, no worries!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Was your mic on?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a little gig with a really nice bassist and a drummer I don't really know out of the jam so that's nice. It's been five years since I've played much in public outside of my teaching at Webster.

True about the chops. I don't really have that burnin thing at all. I asked Bill Charlap at a lecture the other day how you know when you've got your own thing and are not just the some of your influences. He said you can't really force that and he wouldn't want to lose his influences. I'm down with that. Perhaps this quest is really reactionary or hero worship but I think I'm gonna see it through.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I think the burnin thing is deeply overrated (not in the REAL audience). As Pres said "can you sing me a song?"

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The free jazz bass and tenor duo is starting to happen got a few concerts we are about to announce. Very happy about that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
At the break at last Saturday's gig, an older woman (curly white hair, a little on the heavy side) came up to me and said, "You're good." I thanked her and she smiled at me and said, "You play sax pretty good too." I'll take that. :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got called for agood paying wedding gig with a name band for Sat night. Recomened by some guy I'ver never heard of so that's cool.

·
2,077 Posts
In my younger days I would guage how I was playing by responses at jams or gigs that were full of players. Being a kid you would often get encouraging applause where the uadience was basically saying "nice job for a kid". Then as I got better I got more healthy honest applause until eventually I was getting large reactions from the room.
But after that I noticed less and less response from other players, and became more aware of being "vibed" by them.
This is a natural response from a person or people who now feel threatened by you and your playing.
As a matter of fact, you could go as far as saying if you dont get vibed by somebody, your not very good.

·
6,862 Posts
Got called for agood paying wedding gig with a name band for Sat night. Recomened by some guy I'ver never heard of so that's cool.
I'd leave out the John Zorn number if I were you...and absolutely no fisting :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts