Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its silver (Original) a little bit ugly......I haven't played it yet. Can I lose If I buy it at $3500.00????

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Depends... pads, condition of rods and springs, body shape overall, neck, case, how does it play?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
Thanks because of you I will think twice in the future before offering a douchebag smart assd remark....
Oh come on... funny is funny. What do you expect when you ask if you should buy a Mark VI bari in silver plate for only $3,500.00, a serious response?

·
4,507 Posts
Thanks because of you I will think twice in the future before offering a smart assd remark....
OK, glad I was of help, you're halfaway then. Now you need to think before asking a ******** dumb assd question and that will do! :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Ok...so to jump in with a little seriousness *gasp*.

$3,500 could be alright if it's playing well and the pads aren't on their last legs.

At least lately...and from what I've seen, they don't seem to sell all that quickly (for prices similar to the one you're looking at).

It's not like you're going to lose 2K on it if you turn around and sell it...but it's also not as though you can turn around and make a fast buck on it.

So if it plays well, and you like it (kind of the bigger factor here), the price could be considered reasonable...not a steal, but not horrible either (IMO).

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...so to jump in with a little seriousness *gasp*.

$3,500 could be alright if it's playing well and the pads aren't on their last legs.

At least lately...and from what I've seen, they don't seem to sell all that quickly (for prices similar to the one you're looking at).

It's not like you're going to lose 2K on it if you turn around and sell it...but it's also not as though you can turn around and make a fast buck on it.

So if it plays well, and you like it (kind of the bigger factor here), the price could be considered reasonable...not a steal, but not horrible either (IMO).
This is kind of the response I was wondering if I would see. I thought it was a steal......but from your post maybe it's not.

·
1,127 Posts
This is kind of the response I was wondering if I would see. I thought it was a steal......but from your post maybe it's not.
Well, that's just from my (limited) observations...the market might be different now for all I know.

Admittedly, I'm not a big VI bari fan (I was once was stuck with one that I did actually want to jump on)...so I'm not obsessively following them when they come up for sale. I just remember seeing one in particular (that Quinn had up) and a couple more that were in the 3-4K range that were for sale for months before selling. But another factor might have also been that they were all low Bb horns.

Saxquest has a 5 dig low A silver plated bari for 9.5K...FWIW

But considering that bari is in the shop of a repairman...one would be inclined to think that if it was a steal, the repairman would either buy it themselves if they aren't the one selling it...or would be asking more money for it if they are the person selling it.

·
3,494 Posts
Thanks because of you I will think twice in the future before offering a smart assd remark....
I think you misunderstood JiCaino. My take on his comment was that if you jump at
opportunity, the price may go up (i.e. "get screwed up").
His advice, don't show your eagerness.

Am I right, JiCaino ??

Remember he is from Argentina, so English is his second language.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I think you misunderstood JiCaino. My take on his comment was that if you jump at

Am I right, JiCaino ??

Very diplomatic and very wrong.

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Am I right, JiCaino ??

I thought his comment was funny

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
SMT- A few things. Go play it..with a tuner and also take a look at ALL the tone holes. Especially LOW Eb and Low C.

Next, Look at the pig- neck curve hard. Top of sax- etc. If there was an accident there- a hack repair guy could cause a issue with their ignorance.

Silver ain't a bad thing. It really IMHO depends on the sax. Some are dark- or some are heavy. Cleaning ain't no thang- I'm sure you could take some time off SOTW every few weeks :whistle::rolleyes:, open a nice bottle of red, put on some Jeru, Pepper and Cuber and wipe the sax down. :mrgreen:I'd love to try a Silver Low Bb bari- most bari's in killin' condit that are Selmer could be over 8k. case in point- a Asian gent. saw my Low Bb horn on 46th st. I was rehearsing, and he asked me what the serial was and so on. I invited him to my gig ( A NYC latin-jazz thing) So he stopped by-and said would I sell the horn. He offered me 8K right there! For a Low Bb MK6 Selmer! I told him, it was a _work horn_and so on. the guy was stone serious! I dunno if he thought I was holding out but he then offered me 8500 cash! I told him the bari had personal sentimental value, I had years on it, it is JACKED with reso's and stuff...but more importantly...it was BALD
like me. ( meaning no engraving!! haha ) He got the joke, was very cool and gave me his card. CRAZY.:yikes!::lol:

I'd say jump on that faster than Keith Richards might jump on a open bottle of Effen Vodka. OK?

Keep me posted. Right now- hahaha.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts