Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Antigua soprano with a protone MP and fibercell med/soft reed but that reed is stiff and hard to blow. What is a good reed for a beginner? Is the 4C mp easier to blow than the protone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
reed

I just started playing soprano about a year ago and the only reed that I could use was a Legere #2. My mouth piece has about a .077" tip opening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
What reed? The simple answer is "Whatever reed works for you":)

Seriously, compared to that new horn, reeds are in expensive, go buy a few different strength Ricos (or whatever) and figure it out.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I personally never care for synthetic reeds. I would recommend LaVoz Med or Med Soft Reeds. Very consistant for soprano and easy to control with a rich sound. Give em a try. You'll find they last quite a while.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So I suppose your choices are:

a) Legere Reeds #2 or 2.5
b) LaVoz M
c) Vandoren 2.5 or 3

For hardness, they should be around there too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canadiain said:
What reed? The simple answer is "Whatever reed works for you":)

Seriously, compared to that new horn, reeds are in expensive, go buy a few different strength Ricos (or whatever) and figure it out.
Well I did try a rico 2-1\2 which is a little too stiff also. I'm thinking I will try a rico #2 or equivelent. I just need something that is easy to play so I can get to know my way around the sax. Then later I will try to find somthing more suitable for tone etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sod9728 said:
A rico #2 is equivalent to a Vandoren 1.5, and a Legere 1.
I didn't know they made a Legere 1 for soprano sax? I like those reeds a lot. I use them on my clarinet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts