Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've played in multiple Dave Matthews tribute Bands over the past decade. However, I caught lightning in a bottle during this performance. Firstly, the sound guy had a rig that allowed our drummer to record every channel into his notebook. Second, the drummer is a hell of an AV tech. Third, this particular tribute is made up of some sick players in their mid 20's who grew up with this band. As an aside, I remember how much more difficult putting bands like this together was when you had good players trying to learn the parts. These kids learned how to play FROM these parts. Between the players, and the tech catching all of it, it was a really fun night.

https://youtu.be/cVdSXKhb3R0

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Отправлено с моего POCO F1 через Tapatalk

·
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done - solid all around! Need more drum kit though. 😀
Believe it or not, we can get that thing set up within 25 minutes. Travel SNAFU'S taught he and I how to set up like a race team pit crew. Those are the lessons they didn't teach us in music school. :lol:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
First, you guys are GREAT. Your singer sounds like Dave, looks like Dave, and even holds/plays his guitar like Dave. Your drummer does Carter's drumming serious justice. You're nailing it on sax, too - LeRoi is the reason I started playing.

. . . players in their mid 20's who grew up with this band.
BUT! Respectfully, if you weren't born or were diapers when "Under the Table and Dreaming" was released, you didn't "grow up" with the band. ;P

(said by a DMB fan from way back who stopped listening after "Busted Stuff" [but really after "Everyday"])

·
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, you guys are GREAT. Your singer sounds like Dave, looks like Dave, and even holds/plays his guitar like Dave. Your drummer does Carter's drumming serious justice. You're nailing it on sax, too - LeRoi is the reason I started playing.

BUT! Respectfully, if you weren't born or were diapers when "Under the Table and Dreaming" was released, you didn't "grow up" with the band. ;P

(said by a DMB fan from way back who stopped listening after "Busted Stuff" [but really after "Everyday"])
The correct answer in that debate revolves around one's opinion on when the band hit their ultimate stride. In their opinions, it was the early 2000's. That's a good answer, but I prefer Carter, Leroi, and Timmy taking extended solos to fill out sets at small venues like Trax or The Floodzone in the early 90's. (Note how I dodged the fact that DMB is becoming a multi generational band, and that you and I are now older than we care to admit. :lol:) In any event, finding players that actually know how to pull this material off is far easier than it used to be. Most of that revolves around drummers who really figured out Carter's playing. The "Dave" of this band is just a freak if nature. Not only can he do this early 2000's era Dave, but he does a fantastic impersonation of "current Dave".

My buddy, who's about 15 years my senior, and a killer trumpet player, knew and played with all of the real band in Charlottesville. He has DAT tapes of very early shows, as well as tapes from John D'earth's quintet. He also told me hilarious stories about Leroi that I would never share on a public forum. I will say this though. From what I've learned about the guy, he was definitely one you'd want to have a late night conversation with... preferably over a cold brew. He was also likely to be the quickest wit in the room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts