Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the late thread post about this but I thought I would just say I'm the proud owner of a Selmer Reference 54 Alto (flamingo model) and still loving it! Its such an amazing horn, it do pretty much anything from classical, to straight ahead all the way to smooth jazz. I just wanted to hear everyone elses opinion on this horn, what you liked, what you didn't like. Etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Nice horn, alright. I bought mine in 2004 after having played four or five of them. After I bought mine, I was able to play two more. Of all the alto saxophones I've played and owned, the Ref 54 was the most consistent model-to-model of any I'd experienced. They all had that same core sound, response, and luxurious feel. Good choice. DAVE

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, I am now playing a Selmer Ref 54 Dragonbird Tenor and also love it, one of the best horns i have ever had! Just bought a Silver Selmer neck for it as well, hasn't arrived yet but will keep you posted about it.

Steve

·
14,268 Posts
Watching how some company like Yamaha makes their saxophones (and that in itself is marketing hype) is a lot different than going out on the hunt trying to find a horn to buy. If you'd done that, you would understand my comment about the Ref 54 being the most consistent of the bunch IN MY EXPERIENCE (words which I wrote in my original post). I don't need "data" to state an opinion, but I will comment . . .

Example: A few years ago I was on the hunt for a new Yamaha Custom Z alto. I went to several different stores in L.A. trying to find one to buy. I played a bunch of them - in all finishes and dind't find one that tripped my trigger. What I did learn was that they were all different. Later, I had the chance to buy a Custom Z from a fellow SOTW member and it was the best one I'd played. I bought it but then later sold it back after the seller wanted it.

When I looked for Ref 54's, I played several and they all were similar. I ended up buying one at Kessler's after having tested three or four he had in stock. Any one of them would have been a good buy. After buying mine, I had occasion to play two more Ref 54's owned by friends of mine. All of them were similar - MUCH more consistent than the Yamahas I'd tested.

And lest you think that was the only experience, let me assure you that I've played and owned a BUNCH of different saxophones in my 50+ years of playing. Example - I own two Buescher TrueTone sopranos from 1928 - both straight, both silver-plated, and both great players. Yet, they are as different as night and day. Same with my three Yanagisawa sopranos . . . etc. Anyone who has been around saxophones as long as I have been will recognize the validity of my original comment. DAVE

·
Registered
668 Posts
True Dat, Dave.

REF 54s have a neat little feature which must be patented or something. I noticed it the first time I played one. But I haven't seen it on anything else that I can remember.

Harv

·
Banned
593 Posts
well most consistent playing doesnt necessaritly mean most consistently manufactured. i also think most new horns are more consistently manufactured unless they havent upgraded manufacturing methods. youre finding a particular brand plays more consistently for you doesnt invalidate my statement.

so whats the "neat little feature"

·
2,309 Posts
The Selmer Reference 54 is considered the best alto to come along in a long while...enjoy it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts