Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Committee II. It has Noyek Resonators, some nice engraving on the key cups and man, what a blow. Fat, loud, free-blowing and full tone from bottom to top. No play in the mechanics, what a supernice horn. I was really surprised and bought it on the spot. Perfect for me playing Soul and Rock rather than Jazz Standards. The key heights are rather low, which makes it fast. Anyone else playing one of these rare birds?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,921 Posts
I've played a couple Comm II's at a private dealer's house probably
20 years ago, and was very impressed with them-- they were in the
139,000 s/n range .

I have what I think is a Comm I tenor in the 116,000 range that I like
quite a bit and a couple of slightly earlier Martin tenors . Only played
one other Martin tenor that was a Comm III but that was back in 1991
or '92 .. also remember really liking that one .

I wonder if there are any major sound differences between the I and II ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,361 Posts
The II is my favorite of the altos so far. I always keep a couple in stock. At under $1,000 they are a great bargain. Congrats!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got a Committee II. It has Noyek Resonators, some nice engraving on the key cups and man, what a blow. Fat, loud, free-blowing and full tone from bottom to top. No play in the mechanics, what a supernice horn. I was really surprised and bought it on the spot. Perfect for me playing Soul and Rock rather than Jazz Standards. The key heights are rather low, which makes it fast. Anyone else playing one of these rare birds?
Very cool. I've got a Martin Indiana (from 1959) which was Martin's intermediate model. I got it for $200 about 30 years ago, and I play it more than my Mark VI. It's intonation is better and it's really open like you said. The low stack of C#,B, and Bb take a bit of muscle, but I'm usually not doing a lot of fast movement down there anyway.

Playing it too much (2+ hours a day) would give me thumb pain and I realized that it was because the neck strap ring is too high (I tend to play the sax in front of me). I solved this by ordering a 3-ring neck strap holder from Steve Goodson's Nation of Music, and it solved the problem. Here it is.

Congratulations

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to mention, it´s a tenor. Just played it for 2 hours now. It´s in fantastic condition, nothing to do, that´s very good for a private deal. Serial is 133xxx. The intonation is as good as can be on a saxophone, absolutely nothing to complain about. In particular I got the palm keys spot on right away, and they sound really full. But also the low end has power, and the whole horn resonates. Whoever did the last overhaul did a very good job, the pads are thin, the key heights are low, and that´s just what I read about how a Martin shall be set up. The low key heights and not too tight springs are comfortable and fast. It also feels comfortable around my neck, it´s rather light (no high f# of course).
I tested a couple of MPCs, and they all play and tune well, nothing mouthpiece picky with that horn. I´ll stay with my Philtone Tribute Ltd and Select Jazz 2H.
I still cannot believe what a fantastic horn this is, I am really lucky and happy. Now the rest of the herd will stay in its cases.
I´ll post some photos tomorrow. Guess I am a Martin guy from now on. Yeah!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I'm envious...
I went and looked at a Com II 4 or 5 months ago and I wanted it...but the guy wanted $1,000 for it and it needed an overhaul (not a 'play condition'). And, I just couldn't do it at the time. All the lacquer was intact although and ugly brassy color and it had no dents, but I couldn't pull the trigger...

·
Registered
787 Posts
I played an alto at Barnard Repair several years ago and was impressed. Solid construction, and a unique (in a good way) character. If I was in the market for a vintage alto, it would make the short list.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have a II alto in mint condition. Very pretty horn and playing well on the original pads!, no resonators. My main tenor is a Comm III (alongside a Super 20) but I'd be real interested in finding a good Comm II tenor.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very cool. I've got a Martin Indiana (from 1959) which was Martin's intermediate model. I got it for $200 about 30 years ago, and I play it more than my Mark VI. It's intonation is better and it's really open like you said. The low stack of C#,B, and Bb take a bit of muscle, but I'm usually not doing a lot of fast movement down there anyway.

Playing it too much (2+ hours a day) would give me thumb pain and I realized that it was because the neck strap ring is too high (I tend to play the sax in front of me). I solved this by ordering a 3-ring neck strap holder from Steve Goodson's Nation of Music, and it solved the problem. Here it is.

Congratulations
I played an Indiana tenor for many years. As you say very cheap, but fantastic instruments. I am not surprised at all what you say about how much you like it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Agreed. IMHO, having refurbed tons of Martins of all models, I think the II was the best model of all of 'em...altos and tenors.
Interesting, spoken as a repairman (?)
I read lot of people praised the III. Could you tell us why the II?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,230 Posts
Ever come across a Comm II bari?
I have not no...I have refurbed I's and III's in the BigHorn, but I cannot recall ever even having seen a II Baritone. That'd be pretty darn rare.

Interesting, spoken as a repairman (?)
I read lot of people praised the III. Could you tell us why the II?
Build wise, tone wise, they are all great. Personally, I find the ergos on the I's and II's to be more comfy and responsive than on the III's, and I prefer the pinky tables on the older ones...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have not no...I have refurbed I's and III's in the BigHorn, but I cannot recall ever even having seen a II Baritone. That'd be pretty darn rare.

Build wise, tone wise, they are all great. Personally, I find the ergos on the I's and II's to be more comfy and responsive than on the III's, and I prefer the pinky tables on the older ones...
If the tenors are anything like the alto, the action is great. Light and fast, quite moreso than the Comm III tenor I have which is no slouch...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,230 Posts
Here are some pictures. Not so easy to take good pics of a tenor BTW.
She looks sweet. Looks like the lacquer was removed from the keys...a smart move and something which I always do on a II refurb, as typically by now the lacq wear over the nickel keys looks pretty bad...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts