Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never seen them before and I was very surprised to see these Gordon Beeson Pads , a bit crude a way to brand your product (I think it is a rubber stamp) but effective nevertheless

Patent 1949- 1950

“...
685,768. Saxophones. BEESON, G. Nov. 15, 1950 [Nov. 15, 1949], No. 29262/49. Class 88 (ii). A valve pad for a saxophone is faced with a slightly concave disc d of nickel silver. The pad comprises a disc of box-cloth a backed with cardboard band covered with a skiver c. The pad and the metal disc are secured together by means of a double headed rivet f, one head g of which is concave to conform to the shape of the metal disc. The metal disc is turned at the edge e to bite into the skiver covering...."

Product Automotive tire Rim Circle Auto part
Gas Auto part Circle Font Rim

apparently he had clarinet pads too (Only GB there was no space!)

Green Wood Grass Gas Font

·
42,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just looking at horns and I noticed that the pads were barnded this way. I run a little search and I saw these were highly appreciated in the ’50.

Gordon Beeson apparently was a repairer also an avid collector of Jazz photography, he also wrote for a magazine called “ Crescendo" , there was a thread here but the pictures have disappeared froim it.
I think these were some of the pics

Musical instrument Musician Brass instrument Wind instrument Music
Musical instrument Brass instrument Musician Reed Wind instrument
Military person Gesture Brass instrument Musician Woodwind instrument
Footwear Trousers Musical instrument Musician Music

·
42,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I’ve read of his relacquering while researching him.

He was certainly good but may people in the business were doing this as a routine until the ’80 when it became fashionable to have a “ shabby chic” saxophone to say nothing about the fact that if you attempt to sell a relacquered horn now it will substantially cut the value (which was obviously not there until the ’80).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts