Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Plays his @ss off. Loved Sax Gordon for years.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,186 Posts
:salute:

Tremendous player. Also, "Sax" Gordon was a big help putting together a list of great sax solos/players that may not have been that familiar to many players, back when we were putting together the "Blues, R&B, Rock n' Roll Sax Resource". Such as...
(a bit of controversy over who did this solo, but for me, no question, Sam The Man Taylor- https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?167587-Great-Sax-Solos-Sam-The-Man-on-Nappy-Brown-s-quot-Don-t-Be-Angry-quot-or-King-Curtis-or).

Plus, a great player we later did a feature on, thank to Gord first bringing him to our attention.

https://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/LionelPrevost1.html

·
Administrator
17,279 Posts
I met Sax Gordon back in 2011 when he stayed in the house of a friend of mine here in NL and I visited him at a live concert in a small café close to my house, seeing and hearing him in three set's on about 2 meters distance :). A very nice guy and a powerhouse on the tenor. :)

Here is a clip of that concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36rEMLhQ_jE

He plays and sounds great, but his sound on the RPC started bothering me after the first set (missing depth and very cutting and bright). I could really hear the difference when my friend Ruud de Vries and the very young Dutch player Boris Kloek joined him for one number. Both are Florida 10* Link players and are by far not as good as Sax Gordon, but they have that typical Link sound that I prefer. You can hear Boris soloing at 3:20 in above clip.

I think to remember that Sax Gordon switched from an old 9 or 9* Link to RPC because his Link wore out. I really like his sound on his early CD 'Have Horn, Will Travel', where he still played on the big tip Link. See this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lVUVWmT9aiqJz6YDDSEkCWa649GJg4aHc

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clip! Enjoyed it.

Here are a few older postings from various message boards about his m/p;

Interesting news indeed travels fast. Gordon emailed me about a month ago and said that all the sudden, neither of his Links would work - both seemed dead. His 9* is an Early Babbitt and his 9 is from 1980, a long body with the facing stamped on the shank. From playing them, I'm not sure if the tips haven't been closed down in all of the replating done at the Babbitt factory. I got to try them at a Love Dogs gig last summer and both were easy to play. He got an RPC from Doug James and has been using that since we talked. I'm sure he sounds great on it, too.
Gordon got the RPC he plays now from a buddy of mine 5 or 6 years ago and if I remember correctly it is from '96 (back when Ron was putting dates on them). These pieces had what I could best describe as having a very prominent roll over into sort of a bullet baffle. They were probably closer to the roll overs he is making now. At the time Gordon got it, the piece had a small epoxy baffle, which my buddy had added
Gordon's is a 130 opening which he plays with 5 strength reeds!
Gordon purchased my RPC 130B on Ebay in 2017. It had a baffle but not real bright :)

We exchanged messages on Facebook and I feel sure that he does not mind me sharing this information. Gordon stated that he had been using a 120 with a “tiny homemade baffle”. He said he only tries out different m/p’s every 10-15 years. He also used 8* Ted Klum with a bullet chamber which was loud and bright but he couldn’t get the “subtone to project”. He stated that he was "going to use an old RPC with an open chamber soon".

I mailed two more RPC’s to him last year to try out and to keep if either one worked so I am not sure what he is using now.

On a different note and personal observation, I have not heard much hell raising sax playing these days in the Top 40 recordings (I know….who the heck cares about Top 40 :)) Clarence was one of the last Top 40 gutsy players of our generation with a lot of attitude.

Just glad that Gordon is keeping the rockin'/blues style going. Used to be more roof raisers back in the day but some musical styles have changed.

Probably one of the reasons why the guitar continues to be so popular. I have heard some real rockin’ bands over the years where the guitar player parts everyone’s hair with a screaming “in your face” solo with effects (fuzz, metal, etc.) and volume that fills the auditorium and the crowds and dancers goes wild. Then the sax player steps up to solo and loses the moment in both style, emotion, attitude and projection.

At any rate I am just glad to see and hear Gordon rockin' and may he continue for many years :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts