Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,668 Posts
I hope you got it for a decent price. You can almost 100% expect it to need a shop visit, hopefully only for minor stuff. But even if it costs a couple hundred bucks to put it in top playing shape, you get a really decent horn for hopefully a reasonable investment. That's a quality student-level horn.

Shopgoodwill.com and I go way back. A lot of the saxes you see on there are junk, but now and then, something really nice shows up. And back in the day, you could pick up a sweet deal there. Then the resellers and horn flippers discovered the site, and it was Game Over. Seemed the same two or three people were "winning" all the auctions as shopgoodwill.com became a source for horn flipper inventory.

You should check back in and let us know what kind of condition your horn arrived in. Wishing you good luck and happiness with it!

1,668 Posts
Thanks to Sig and adam.
Y'all have recommendations for a mouthpiece? (In case the one it comes with is unusable). I am currently playing alto mainly with a Meyer 7M (.081") large chamber and a 2.0 reed. Feel like I should start with smaller tip relative to alto, but don't understand how to relate alto openings to tenor.

Dave
Wild guess - I bet about a .100" to .105" tip opening would suit you on tenor... Perhaps with a 2.5 strength reed. The tip opening does not tell the whole story when it comes to resistance, but that ballpark would likely suit you. You'll definitely need to do some trial and error.

1,668 Posts
To my untrained mind that seems kinda big. I guess I'm afraid that the larger air volume needed for the tenor might tax my still-newbie-ish lungs. But I have no reference, except to note that a Yamaha 4C piece is about .67".
I think you'd find a .100" ALTO mouthpiece beastly :) But if you are happy with a 7 on alto, a .100" tenor would be of similar character, all other things being equal. You'll definitely need some trial and error, but I feel that's where you might want to start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts