Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
Acorn Cleveland Alto, Vito Tenor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope I am in the right place -- please redirect me if not.

Did something today for the first time -- I bid on and won an auction, on the shopgoodwill.com site. Very unusual behavior for me. Anyway, the item is a Vito-labeled tenor, serial 011xxx. Under the serial is stamped 'JAPAN'. I have a list of Vito serial numbers which indicates the horn was manufactured in the late 70's or early 80's and is probably a Yamaha. It has the big, one-piece key guard over the low C and bell keys which I think was characteristic of the YTS-21. Can anyone verify or refute that?

Condition is unknown -- hopefully not a basket case. Doesn't look bad in the pics, but I know the rim of the bell is not round. Posting said that "all the valves work". ahem So, this may be a new adventure. I am friendly with a local instrument tech.

I have just recently, over the last 6+ months, started playing again after a half-century break. Played a Buescher 400 baritone in high school, have a Cleveland alto now.

Dave

Musical instrument Insect Wind instrument Art Reed

· Registered
411 Posts
YTS-21. It has the YTS-21 low E mechanism. I owned one. I've owned an SBA, a Mark VI, and a premium Yamaha, among others. The 21 was my all-time favorite. It was stolen a few years ago. Now I've got a later Vito that I nursed back to health. Story for another time.

Restoring one is a heavy lift for an inexperienced repairer. It could take years - and tools, and a lot of pads, and other stuff. So take it to a pro and find out if putting it right is worth the cost. (It is.)

· Registered
411 Posts
YTS-21. It has the YTS-21 low E mechanism. I owned one. I've owned an SBA, a Mark VI, and a premium Yamaha, among others. The 21 was my all-time favorite. It was stolen a few years ago. Now I've got a later Vito that I nursed back to health. Story for another time.

Restoring one is a heavy lift for an inexperienced repairer. It could take years - and tools, and a lot of pads, and other stuff. So take it to a pro and find out if putting it right is worth the cost. (It is.)
I made a weird mistake: I meant it has the YTS-21 low C# mechanism.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, sparq and JD. Yes, I am aware of the gamble I have taken. I am hopeful that purchase cost plus the cost of getting the horn into GPC (good playing condition) will not be prohibitive. I doubt I will be doing any of the work, except perhaps for picking out a mouthpiece. Pretty sure that eventual total will be worth the expenditure. A bit worried that the horn was "dropped on its head (bell)" at some point. Well, I turned out OK, so I am confident it will, too. :)

Dave

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to Sig and adam.
Y'all have recommendations for a mouthpiece? (In case the one it comes with is unusable). I am currently playing alto mainly with a Meyer 7M (.081") large chamber and a 2.0 reed. Feel like I should start with smaller tip relative to alto, but don't understand how to relate alto openings to tenor.

Dave

· Registered
9,654 Posts
Well, the rough equivalent of the standard issue Meyer for alto, on tenor is a hard rubber Link.

You could try about a #6 new Vintage Slant Link, about $200. I have one and I like it very much, though personally I'm a Meyer man on tenor.

· SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,641 Posts
I hope you got it for a decent price. You can almost 100% expect it to need a shop visit, hopefully only for minor stuff. But even if it costs a couple hundred bucks to put it in top playing shape, you get a really decent horn for hopefully a reasonable investment. That's a quality student-level horn.

Shopgoodwill.com and I go way back. A lot of the saxes you see on there are junk, but now and then, something really nice shows up. And back in the day, you could pick up a sweet deal there. Then the resellers and horn flippers discovered the site, and it was Game Over. Seemed the same two or three people were "winning" all the auctions as shopgoodwill.com became a source for horn flipper inventory.

You should check back in and let us know what kind of condition your horn arrived in. Wishing you good luck and happiness with it!

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the rough equivalent of the standard issue Meyer for alto, on tenor is a hard rubber Link.

You could try about a #6 new Vintage Slant Link, about $200. I have one and I like it very much, though personally I'm a Meyer man on tenor.
Hmmm. I didn't pay much more than that on the horn! (with repairs still to come). Can't one get a standard Tone Edge Link for about $100?

· SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,641 Posts
Thanks to Sig and adam.
Y'all have recommendations for a mouthpiece? (In case the one it comes with is unusable). I am currently playing alto mainly with a Meyer 7M (.081") large chamber and a 2.0 reed. Feel like I should start with smaller tip relative to alto, but don't understand how to relate alto openings to tenor.

Dave
Wild guess - I bet about a .100" to .105" tip opening would suit you on tenor... Perhaps with a 2.5 strength reed. The tip opening does not tell the whole story when it comes to resistance, but that ballpark would likely suit you. You'll definitely need to do some trial and error.

· Registered
9,654 Posts
Yeah, but the scuttlebutt is that the standard TE doesn't have enough baffle and sounds woolly and blah. I've never tried one myself so take that for what it's worth.

At a minimum the plastic Yamaha 5C would get you off the ground and running.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,395 Posts
Condition is unknown -- hopefully not a basket case. Doesn't look bad in the pics, but I know the rim of the bell is not round. Posting said that "all the valves work". ahem So, this may be a new adventure. I am friendly with a local instrument tech.
OK, well, yeah it's a good model. It will most definitely NOT play up and down smoothly, though, so do be prepared for $200+ worth of repair work (if you are lucky).

That's the thing about auction horns....even IF the seller claims it plays, it needs work 90% of the time.
For a horn which seller made no claim of playability...again, expect that you will have to invest in making it so.

A reliable workhorse horn, very very popular...a bit soul-less, IMHO compared to an old King, Buescher, Conn, etc.

But again, very respectable.

In cleaned and serviced shape, no significant body issues, playing up and down, with case - these have a current market value of around $700 (yes, really...folks who claim otherwise have NOT been keeping abreast of current values).
So if you are one who gauges success based upon "only invest a total of what it is currently worth"...then there's your yardstick.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Id give you a break on an Orion tenor piece if you wanted. Otherwise there are a lot of choices. Hopefully the horn wont eat too much cash.
Very kind of you! I will keep it in mind; probably for future, though. Went to the website for the 1st time; really like the orbital and astronomical images!

Dave

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, but the scuttlebutt is that the standard TE doesn't have enough baffle and sounds woolly and blah. I've never tried one myself so take that for what it's worth.

Yes, I'm thinking that if the included 'piece doesn't play, a Yamaha 5c or 6c will be the first stop. The old King 'A' that came with my Cleveland didn't play for me. Not its fault. shrug

· Registered
4,405 Posts

Bob Reynolds sounds fantastic on his TE. Others have told me I do too.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts