Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Anybody know a good book for work on low notes on Flute. I can play high (Lord knows why) but I suck at playing low.

Thanks!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
How much time do you put in on long tones down there?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Aye! There's the rub!

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey

if your flute isn't sealing properly and has leaks some notes are impossible to play - have it checked. in the meantime...

drop your jaw and draw it back so you have a 'looser' embouchure but still support the airstream from your diaphragm. Try slurring down from the lowest note you can play, chromatically to the next one and play it softly. hard attacks usually jump the octave. Focus the airstream so you don't get that 'breathy' sound.

The best thing to do for tone work is long notes unfortunately - until you feel like chucking your flute across the room. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yep, Ya gotta do the work! There's no easy way out. A few days of long tones will help a lot. Check out the Trevor Wye book on tone. Great book!

·
Registered
654 Posts
low notes

marian305 said:
if your flute isn't sealing properly and has leaks some notes are impossible to play - have it checked.
Most flutes are under-repaired. I am frequently amazed at what passes for flute repair. Be sure and have it checked by a tech that really does flutes well.
I second the motion for the Trevor Wye book.

·
Registered
717 Posts
When I was a student at Berklee i had a work-study job in the library when it was in the 1140 Boylston St. building. In the summer, with the windows open, I could here practicing and lessons going from both Berklee and Boston Conservatory. From the conservatory would come, every afternoon, the most gorgeous long tones on flute. I've never heard better flute sound live before or since.
One day I couldn't stand it and went 'round the corner onto the Fenway. I didn't get to disturb the flautist, but someone told me who she was, Doriot Dwyer. Nothing but long tones, for hours on end.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
danarsenault said:
One day I couldn't stand it and went 'round the corner onto the Fenway. I didn't get to disturb the flautist, but someone told me who she was, Doriot Dwyer. Nothing but long tones, for hours on end.
WOW!! Well I guess if Dwyer can do it then at least I can put in a half-hour, wot?! :shock:

Thanks for the ancedote. It's good to keep in mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
bass9396 said:
Anybody know a good book for work on low notes on Flute.
I don't think that there is a book witch is only for the low tones of the flute.
You can invent exercises yourself. E.g. G, F, E, F, E, D, E, D, C,. And don't forget the chromatic ones.
And when you do long tones you can also write an exercise for it, a small melody. So it won't be so boring playing them.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
bass9396 said:
...Anybody know a good book for work on low notes on Flute.
Ah! The spend-on-gear bandaid syndrome. It doesn't work!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
danarsenault said:
On a serious note, it is also important, if your flute embouchure is still developing, to STOP working when it hurts. The rest is just as important as the exercise in building low note chops. All of which assumes a tight flute.
This is a great point, ESPECIALLY on piccolo!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
danarsenault said:
When I was a student at Berklee i had a work-study job in the library when it was in the 1140 Boylston St. building. In the summer, with the windows open, I could here practicing and lessons going from both Berklee and Boston Conservatory. From the conservatory would come, every afternoon, the most gorgeous long tones on flute. I've never heard better flute sound live before or since.
I lived right there at 34 the Fenway from 1970 to 1975 and had many such experiences...even vocalists practicing long tones; this had a lasting impression on me. Also, the dancers would be out on the sidewalk on sunny days and hold stretch positions for significant fractions of an hour.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
Ah! The spend-on-gear bandaid syndrome. It doesn't work!
Buying an alto flute and practicing long tones has had a splendid impact on the power of my soprano flute lower register.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
Buying an alto flute and practicing long tones has had a splendid impact on the power of my soprano flute lower register.
Another good point! The same thing on picc: When I practice the high notes on picc, they are much easier on flute. Check out the Wye books- well written, and well organised. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
shmuelyosef said:
Another good point! The same thing on picc: When I practice the high notes, they are much easier on flute. Check out the Wye books- well written, and well organised. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts