Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing alto sax for a number of years, but I've recently been told that my tuning varies quite widely across the range of the instrument. I know that tuning depends on the embrouchere as well as tongue and mouthpiece position, but can anyone advise me on what I might be doing wrong and how to improve? Any tips would be great :)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I've been playing alto sax for a number of years, but I've recently been told that my tuning varies quite widely across the range of the instrument. I know that tuning depends on the embrouchere as well as tongue and mouthpiece position, but can anyone advise me on what I might be doing wrong and how to improve? Any tips would be great :)
I also depends on ears. Some people are more sensitive than others to what they hears as out of tune. If you want to become more sensitive then ear training is a good idea.

There are plenty of software programs for interval recognition, there may be some for tuning a well, though the two things are related of course in that both rely on awareness of pitch.

Another good thing to do is to learn sight singing, joining a choir is a good idea to help this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts