Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new tenor and I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for me.

I'm looknig for a jazz tenor.

I'm checkin the usual: Yamaha, Selmer, but I've heard about Keilwerth, Jupiter...and then there's Guardala...

So, any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
Why wouldn't you check out Keilwerths?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I know about a Buescher, and a Conn Pan American. I know one of them was rented out. Both are student models. PM me if your intersted.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
GeneraloftheSaxArmy said:
I'm in the market for a new tenor and I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for me.

I'm looknig for a jazz tenor.
They are all "jazz" tenors! Every one of them. But of course some are better than others and some will suit YOU better. I'd suggest searching through many of the posts on various brands, and the horns for sale area also. Don't discount the vintage horns. They are far and away the best value, imo. Well, the MKVI is a bit pricey, but Conns, Bueschers, Martins are a good bet.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Quality Used Horns That I've Played and Can Speak For:

Depends on your budget, and what you're looking for. I know where you can get a Martin Committee Tenor that has literally never been played (museum piece) for around $3k.

Also a Kenosha Vito for $650. She's a pro horn in student skin, you could say.

Or a Yamaha 31, which is a fair intermediate model for $650.

Otherwise, if you want to go new, then so much of it is budget and exactly the feel of horn that you want. Any Selmer horn will be good. Most Yamahas will be solid. People swear by their Keilwerths. Best bet would be to go somewhere where you can play a lot of them.

I just bought a Conn 10M, mostly out of reputation as I didn't get to play it before I bought it. (although, I did play one a year or two ago that I liked). Had I gone with reputation when I bought my alto, I would have ended up with a Selmer Series III. I'm glad I didn't. I like my Series II much more than I did the III's I tried. You won't notice quite as much difference on the lower $$$ amount spectrum, however. If that's the case, you're pretty safe as long as you've got a well known brand/model and it's in good mechanical condition.

If you're interested in any of the above used horns, drop me a private message.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Yanagisawa, used or new, would be a good addition to your list.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here's an idea, play the pro level tenor from the big 4 (Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth) and pick the one that you like.

It's the only way you'll be happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
joelsp said:
Here's an idea, play the pro level tenor from the big 4 (Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, Keilwerth) and pick the one that you like.

If a recent, modern horn is what you want, these are the four you need to be looking at. If you can find a B&S or stencil (older Guardala), then for less than $1800 you'd have a horn as good as any of the big 4.

Otherwise, my advice is to not fret too much about it, just buy one and play the hell out of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
joelsp said:

joelsp has the right idea. Try at least one each of the big four. Having said that, I own a Keilwerth Shadow, and I think it’s incredible. (BTW, I’m not a Keilwerth expert, but mine isn’t anything like stuffy.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course I'm tryting everything under the sun. As it was put: it's the only way Ill be happy.

Now to find them...*off questing*

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts