Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest good stores to buy a beginner saxophone in/near San Francisco? I've been searching online, but I couldn't really find much information...

Any suggestions on which sax to buy would be really helpful too. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Bad timing, Malestrom...I am in the middle of moving from SF to Portland, OR ...or I could have shown you quite a few :(

If you want a nice older Martin Indiana Alto, contact Tony at Anthony's Woodwind Corner in San Rafael, Marin County.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ea-Marin-County)&highlight=anthony's+woodwind

It's a nice horn and he is a tech so has done an overhaul on it, am guessing he'd let it go for quite reasonably. He also has some others which are not ready for sale yet but perhaps you can discuss those possibilities as well...

You can also try Best Music in Oakland, CA.

There is Union Music Co. in San Francisco, but their prices are not good at all....

...then Eric Drake at Saxology in Berkeley, CA sometimes has refurbished ones for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys... :)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a store that has bauhas walstein... i've been reading good stuff about them as starter saxes.

And how good is the haight ashbury music center, near union square?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
The last time I was in The Haight Ashbury Music Center it was not very good at much more than attracting tourists and interesting looking guitars. I don't think they do saxophones. Union Music Co. is associated with Best Music in Oakland and they have quite a few high end used wind instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew of a store that has bauhas walstein... i've been reading good stuff about them as starter saxes.
Contact Palo Tung at justsaxes.com. He's now based in Capitola, near Santa Cruz which is an hour and a half south of SF.

And how good is the haight ashbury music center, near union square?
Haight Ashbury Music Center is in the Haight which is not near Union Square. I've heard lots of negative comments about them. I wouldn't go there. And they don't specialize in saxes. Look them up on yelp. You might try Bronstein Music in South San Francisco.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,650 Posts
Thanks for that, MMM.

maelstrom - I do have 1 BW bronze AI alto and 1 BW bronze AI tenor in stock. I'm a little busy for the next couple of weeks filling orders, but after August 2 or so I should have a clearer schedule for appointments. I also have a shop in Palo Alto, but don't take visitors there; I'm in that area fairly regularly, though, so I can meet between Santa Cruz & Palo Alto or make house-calls close-by that route, and close to PA by appt. email for phone: [email protected]

·
2,620 Posts
The last time I was in The Haight Ashbury Music Center it was not very good at much more than attracting tourists and interesting looking guitars. I don't think they do saxophones. Union Music Co. is associated with Best Music in Oakland and they have quite a few high end used wind instruments.
Actually, Union Music in SF is associated with A&G Music in Oakland and Best Instrument REPAIR. Best Music in Oakland is a different store. Very confusing, though.

·
2,620 Posts
I am in the middle of moving from SF to Portland, OR
I am both disappointed and relieved - I am disappointed because I wanted to come by and try some of those cool horns you have. I am relieved because I probably would have ended up with GAS for some of those cool horns you have.

I like Portland, though. Nice city, but I get BAS (book acquisition syndrome) there from visiting Powell's Books. (Awesome bookstore for those of you who may not know about it. Used and new, shelved together, store takes up a city block. They sell online, too, including their used books.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
+1 on Steve Gray in Santa Cruz. I got my Martin bari from him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the contacts, guys... :)

Mr. Tung, I tried sending you an e-mail for your phone number, but it doesn't seem to have gotten through... I'm really hoping to get a BW, and it would be wonderful if you could give me a way to contact you.

Thanks in advance. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts