Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am playing tenor saxophone with a Selmer C* mouthpiece and Vandoren V12 3.5 reeds. I want to know how to get a very good classical sound with this set up and if it is possible to sound pretty jazzy, and if so, how? I will appreciate everyone's tips. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Of course it is possible to sound pretty jazzy with your set-up, or with any other set-up. It will be more or less difficult, but always possible.
Your other questions are impossible to answer from a distance. The best you can do is to find yourself a teacher who can hear how you sound and show you what to do.
And be prepared to spend at least a year before you are even close to your target.
Good luck, and enjoy.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Since you're probably locked in on your horn & mpc, the only variable left is your reeds. Check out something different. Then, it's mind over matter, you "make" it all work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As an example I play a Selmer C* on my Alto and I cannot sound like a classical sax player at all. I did an audition last week for a university and was told that the sound I get on my C* would be good for jazz. I only play on my V16 A5 for jazz though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts