Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D I just got a new alto, so now i have my old la voix alto. It is in good condition with a few small scratches, nothing bad at all. I figured i would try and trade my la voix in for a soprano. I need som e suggestions on what is the best possible soprano for this trade. Im guessing my la voix will run around 1000-1200$ maybe??

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Infamous said:
:D I just got a new alto, so now i have my old la voix alto. It is in good condition with a few small scratches, nothing bad at all. I figured i would try and trade my la voix in for a soprano. I need som e suggestions on what is the best possible soprano for this trade. Im guessing my la voix will run around 1000-1200$ maybe??

How is the resale value for the La Voix. If I had to guess i would say that your estimate might be too high, especially if you want to trade for it. Maybe selling it first then looking at sopranos would be better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
Infamous: Welcome to SOTW. Unfortunately, the LaVoix is just another Taiwanese (could even be mainland China, I don't know) saxophone with little value at resale. This is not to say that it doesn't play good or wouldn't be enjoyed by someone else. It is just that many Taiwanese saxophones don't command resale value. Trading in means even less for you.

I agree with Simon - try to privately sell it outright (eBay; SOTW For-Sale thread?). Then go looking for a good soprano.

If you needed $1K or better for the LaVoix, does that mean you are considering $1K sopranos? DAVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave Dolson said:
Infamous: Welcome to SOTW. Unfortunately, the LaVoix is just another Taiwanese (could even be mainland China, I don't know) saxophone with little value at resale. This is not to say that it doesn't play good or wouldn't be enjoyed by someone else. It is just that many Taiwanese saxophones don't command resale value. Trading in means even less for you.

I agree with Simon - try to privately sell it outright (eBay; SOTW For-Sale thread?). Then go looking for a good soprano.

If you needed $1K or better for the LaVoix, does that mean you are considering $1K sopranos? DAVE

Yes Dave, im considering sopranos around that price. I just need some opinions on what are the best overall sopranos in that price range. You see, there is a large sam ash store around my area and they do trades. I wanted to trade the horn with them. But if you believe that selling it first and collecting the cash for a soprano is a better idea, i will probably take that route.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The first rule of the marketplace (the BIG marketplace, as in anywhere you could sell something in the world), is that with few exceptions ( diamonds to name one) anything bought new will immedeately be worth only 60-75 percent of what you paid for it.
It's why I don't buy new instruments anymore as a general rule. It means that if you are buying something that you may not own for life, you'll lose money on it (unless you play on a horn long enough to pay for it through gigs and teaching while also paying rent and feeding yourself.)
The second important rule to realize is that, as a trade-in, anyone who sells things will only give you 50-75 percent of it's market value to apply to the new item (less if it needs work).
It all amounts to you getting a small portion of what you paid for the horn. It sucks, but it's just the way things are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts