Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any mouthpiece thats jazzy Im not really looking for anything specific besides something that is warm and a little dark.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,079 Posts
I have a Selmer Super Session that I really like. Those are just over $200 new but you could probably find one for much less used.

Before that I used a soprano mouthpiece by the "Bari" company that's also very good, I think Branford Marsalis used to use one in the '90s. I can't find them online at the moment but if they're still around, they're very affordable and decent. I think mine was a .068 opening.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Selmer Super Session that I really like. Those are just over $200 new but you could probably find one for much less used.

Before that I used a soprano mouthpiece by the "Bari" company that's also very good, I think Branford Marsalis used to use one in the '90s. I can't find them online at the moment but if they're still around, they're very affordable and decent. I think mine was a .068 opening.
Thank you! I plan on checking the selmer out I think the sax shop might have it to try.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I recommend the Morgan "Vintage". It's the same as their Morgan Jazz, but made of resin instead of hard rubber. I think it's currently arount $120 or so. I play a size 7 (0.070), and I find that it outplays many much more expensive mouthpieces.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any mouthpiece thats jazzy Im not really looking for anything specific besides something that is warm and a little dark.
You might consider Otto Link Tonedge they are well within your budget.I use Hemke reeds with it on my yss 475 to darkin it down.

·
1,364 Posts
Vandoren V16s are really good on soprano too. Very well made and a good design

·
Registered
909 Posts
Vandoren V16s are really good on soprano too. Very well made and a good design
I've owned one of these and, while they are well made mouthpieces, I find them quite a bit brighter than any of the other mouthpieces mentioned here so far. It's a squeeze throat design broadly similar to that of the Morgan Vintage, Super Session, and Bari pieces, but the chamber is horseshoe shaped (rather than round) and it's got a fairly substantial baffle.

I would stay away from these if you're looking for something warm and dark.

·
1,305 Posts
You would like a meyer. It's on the warmer side. Bari mouthpieces aren't necessarily bright but they do have a more focused, smooth sound. The meyer is definitely more spread and warmer if that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
708 Posts

I'm selling a modern .62 Bari in the marketplace if there's interest.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Man I can't believe no one has said that it really, really depends on the horn, especially with soprano... not to mention the player!
A mouthpiece may not play in tune on the horn you're playing!
You need to try them.
Tune to middle F# on soprano (after a long time warming up and playing), and see if the rest of the horn lines up.
As a starting point, if you can't get a Selmer S80 (well below $200) to play well in tune, on any soprano, you may have a horn (or player) issue.
Also, I've found the S80 to be one of the warmest, nicest, "airiest" pieces... on my 1928 Conn.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Also, I can't speak highly enough of Phil Barone's mouthpieces.
I picked up one of his "Vintage" model soprano pieces recently, for $60, from Kritavi here on SOTW.
Since I've fallen madly in love with one of his tenor pieces, it was no surprise that this #6 (~0.063" by my gauge) Vintage soprano piece simply sings... with a brown box Rico # 2 1/2 or a blue box Vandoren (Phil's recommendation) # 2 1/2. A V16 reed seems very nice as well.
Again, on my Conn soprano with me playing it... YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like my Runion custom 6. To me, it has a great great mellow sound, good for jazz and modern as well. LaVoz work great on it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I currently play a Vandoren V5 S25 that's warm sounding and I have a Bari .066 that's similar. Both well under $200 new.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I concur with mmichel on the Morgan Vintage. Well under your budget brand new.

Plays with a huge warm and dark tone. Very compatible with vintage and modern sopranos.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Also, I can't speak highly enough of Phil Barone's mouthpieces.
I picked up one of his "Vintage" model soprano pieces recently, for $60, from Kritavi here on SOTW.
Since I've fallen madly in love with one of his tenor pieces, it was no surprise that this #6 (~0.063" by my gauge) Vintage soprano piece simply sings... with a brown box Rico # 2 1/2 or a blue box Vandoren (Phil's recommendation) # 2 1/2. A V16 reed seems very nice as well.
Again, on my Conn soprano with me playing it... YMMV.
I think the Barones and Ponzol’s used the same blank as is used in the Bari. Just no metal sleeve on the shank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts